View Full Version : Replacing the ignition switch on a trackbike?

M.V.
14-04-2015, 10:54 PM
My trackbike project is coming together slowly, I'm in need of a replacement for the ignition switch which didn't come with the bike.

I'll replace the starter with a custom button on the triples & use a dirtbike style killswitch.

I was thinking of one of those battery mains switches with the red plastic key, but I'm not sure it will hold up on a bike, are there any other options? Looking for low tech & idiotproof if possible!

Cheers in advance.

hyofighter
15-04-2015, 12:14 AM
Those red key jobs i use heaps at work they are okay and hold up well but is a bit extreme for your application and they dont last to long with water getting in them . The marine ones are better . Jump on jaycars web page i wouldnt have thought current draw on a bike starter would be high im guessing under 100amp maybe more never really checked

M.V.
15-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Do you reckon they'd hold up to the vibration? Don't want the thing switching off down the main straight of PI!

Hillsy
15-04-2015, 03:03 PM
What bike are we talking about here? You know most bikes made this side of 2000 have some sort of anti-theft system in the ignition switch? Some have a chip in the key whilst others have resistors in the ignition switch wiring to reduce the voltage to the ignitor.

M.V.
16-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Yeah, it's a Honda VFR 800 with the HISS system, but I've got a US ECU & wiring, harness, no HISS any more.

The switch just needs to power on the bike really, tapped into the +12 battery line.

hyofighter
16-04-2015, 11:37 AM
The red key jobs would hold up to the vibes but there are better options to using one of them .

Hillsy
16-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Why not just use an on/off style killswitch for both instead of a killswitch and an ignition switch?

M.V.
16-04-2015, 01:10 PM
More like a battery master switch & a kill switch, probably more accurate way to describe it. If it's sitting for month I can disconnect the battery, but I don't really want to kill the battery when turning off the bike in general use

Hillsy
16-04-2015, 08:26 PM
No worries mate - just another option.