PDA

View Full Version : FZR 250 2KR float height ?

Aerojake
08-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Hey guys just after some advice on the correct float height for my bike I have pulled the carbs for a clean hoping that it will fix the issue im having with the bike not reving past 10,000rpm when under load so before putting her back together I need to set the floats.
I have found that the hyosung gt250r uses the exact same bds26 carbs, There float height is specified to be at 17mm would this float height be the same for the bds26's in my FZR*

If this is the case then my floats were way out of spec ive had to bend the tabs a considerable amount just to get 14mm.

Also when I first pulled the carbs I could see that the floats in carbs 3-4 where heaps lower than carbs 1-2 see pic. could this have contributed to my issue?

Gix11
09-04-2015, 11:47 AM
That's some old stuff there mate. If it was me personally, I'd give the 17mm a go and see how it goes. At least get them all the same. Taking the carbs on and off will become second nature with this sort of stuff, so tests are pretty easy. Just keep an eye on it as obviously if they are too high you'll end up running lean, and that ain't pretty.

Here's some more info: http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_float_height_adj_procedure.html

Dyno's are your friend or at least an AFR meter.

Aerojake
09-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Thanks for your reply GIX11,
I have since found that the right setting is between 17.5mm and 19.5mm this would mean that to reach this setting I would have to adjust the floats 8mm higher on carbs 1-2 than what they originally were set at and carbs 3-4 would need 13mm adjusting as they were roughly 5mm lower than carbs 1-2.

Is it right that my bike should have even been runnjng with the floats being so far out of spec ?

Gix11
09-04-2015, 12:52 PM
As long as it was getting fuel it would run, but it must have been a pig to ride! Make sure all the parts will adjust properly as well as if they are flooged out or the original 27 year old items, you'll kick yourself if you don't replace them and they fall again.

Aerojake
09-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Surprisingly it was ok to ride just wouldn't rev past 10,000rpm in gear which is where most of the power starts with this things.