PDA

View Full Version : How true spoked rims

MuZ
03-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Hey guys planning on fitting a 120 rear tyre to the postie bike I'm building, to do this I picked up a 2.75 wide rim with the same spoke pattern as the postie rear hub so I can stich them together. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for making the truing job easier. atm I plan on holding the axle solid in the vice and mounting a dial indicator to the bench. I've been told by a few people to just pay someone to do it because its a cunt of a job but I reckon I could do it with the right amount of patience and advice

Hillsy
05-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Have you ever trued a bicycle wheel? It's the same process just with thicker spokes.

You'd be better off clamping the swingarm in the vice and true-ing the wheel in that. That way you can get the rim centred in the swing arm as well so the tyre doesn't rub.

And YouTube has a crap load of video tutorials. It isn't that hard - just requires patience.

Bastard
06-03-2015, 12:04 AM
I did this ONCE got pissed off and got someone else to do the other wheel used a piece of aluminium as audilble guide to keep the run out in check while truing it up.

Hillsy
09-03-2015, 02:44 PM
I did this ONCE got pissed off and got someone else to do the other wheel used a piece of aluminium as audilble guide to keep the run out in check while truing it up.

Yeah - that's a good tip with the strip of alloy as a run out guide. Also have a marker on hand to mark the rim where the run outs are so you can tweak the right spokes. Then rub the marks off with metho and check for true again...and again...