PDA

View Full Version : 92 swing arm into 88 GSXR 750

jmw76
13-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Hi Guys,

It's been a little while since I have posted anything on here. Been a bit slack and busy with other things.
I am trying to help my son with some upgrades to his old skool 88 GSXR 750 track bike.
We have installed a later (92) swing arm and rear wheel but we are missing the rear calliper that goes with it. We have the mounting bracket but not the calliper.
Wonder if anyone might have one of these lying about or has some advice on how to fit the original calliper and lower link assembly. Or any other advise that might be of assistance.

PS. The other bikes and my GSXR powered JMW race car are going just great (after the last rebuild).

Cheers

Peter.

Gix11
16-02-2015, 09:03 AM
How far out of line are the holes in the old caliper and the new bracket, or alternatively, the old bracket and the new swingarm?

jmw76
16-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The old 88 calliper does not come even close when trying to adapt to the 92 bracket. When you slide the calliper over the disk it just crashes into the bracket before fully covering the disk and the holes are no where near where they should be. We looked at trying to use the old calliper and old mounting, with lower link rod, but it fowls on the tyre and will need cutting and shutting. We are trying to avoid this and thought there might be a better solution.

Peter.

Gix11
17-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Could you post up some photos to maybe give us some ideas?

DCRacing
18-02-2015, 07:51 AM
I have both models sitting in the shed, I could have a look, BUT, as Deano has found out and is still waiting on me, I could be months before I venture into the shed. I will try and have a look and while I am there will try to get sorted for Deano.

Don't hold your breath.......

jmw76
18-02-2015, 09:46 PM
I have not been able to take any pics yet.

Currently the bike is sitting with the old mount bracket and calliper just hanging off the axle. A simple lower link rod to replicate the original arrangement might work but it would need an offset (bend in it to clear the tyre. I am concerned that under load, this may put a bending moment on the rod and just buckle it in towards the wheel. Where the clevis mounts to the calliper, it effectively needs to be mounted outboard by about 20mm to give enough clearance.