PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Auctions

latheboy
19-01-2015, 08:27 AM
I have a project on the go for a mate and we are looking at getting a wrecked bike from the auctions for the motor and spark bits. I'm after a late model 1000cc Jap inline 4.

Having never been to an auction, what do I need to know before I go?

Do people pay stupid money for busted up stuff?

Are there hidden costs? Got a fairly tight budget and don't want to blow it with taxes on the taxes on the taxes.

I had other things to ask but got interupted for work stuff and forgot.

Large
19-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Most auction places will charge a fee to the winner. Could be as much as 10% or more of the winning bid.

Manheims also charge a payment fee on credit card and cash payments.

Ask for a list of all fees before bidding.

latheboy
19-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Fee on card and cash? That's Shitty as bro .. yup I'll get the docs before we start .. thanks Mr. Large

Weaselman
21-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Every auction charges a buyers premium man. Some places can be as high as 17% on top of GST

nick76
21-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Last i heard...alot of bikes get bought up for stupid money....and shipped off to arab parts of the world for parts...
After all the repairable write off changes happened...i thought bikes would be worth nothing at the auctions...but i was wrong.
(im talking NSW auctions)

EVLZX
21-01-2015, 11:14 PM
Yeah nothing's cheap.
Got a ZZR1100 for around $900, more than I should have spent on it.
Just set some solid limits.
Best bet is private.

latheboy
22-01-2015, 07:23 AM
I understand everyone needs to make a living but up to 17% ontop of GST is a bit greedy.

I hate being wrong nick, last time i was wrong was 1986... it was a wednesday afternoon, lovely day with the sun out... but that's a story for another time.

I'll have a look on gum/bay/trade..

I was hoping the auctions would be the least time consuming.

Large
22-01-2015, 08:09 AM
In my experience the auctions can be cheaper than private sales.

When a bloke wants to sell his damaged bike, he usually has some emotional or financial involvement in the bike.

Auctions are impersonal.

Just do your homework on the fees, check out the bikes carefully, maybe pick 2 or 3 that you want to bid on (in case you don't get your first choice) set a limit and don't go over it.

Also try and get some idea of what the bits you don't need are worth. My most successful purchase was the CBR600RRRR that I got the kart moteur from. After I'd sold all the bits I didn't need the moteur was free.

While you're there, have a look around at all the dodgy types buying cars.

Oh yeah, I've never paid gst on an auction purchase. Has that changed in the last year or so?

hooligan
22-01-2015, 02:42 PM
my mt 09 will be going to the auctions soon. service history, well looked afted, i still have all the keys, motor starts. Is jut a bit fucked up an unrideable. Although it not a 1000 in line 4.

TurboKat
22-01-2015, 03:28 PM
I've got a crashed 2012 GSXR 1000 & I'm picking up a 2013 R1 (Big Bang mate, siiick mate) tomorrow, ring me & we'll do werds.
Edit; the R1 is smashed like a motherfucker but the moeuteour looked OK.

latheboy
22-01-2015, 03:55 PM
I'll call you tomorrow TK... Bamm.