PDA

View Full Version : R1 build questions

chinski
06-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Hi guys, joined here years ago when i was on a Buell 1125 CR, had quite a few since including a 2010 R1 i bought to turn into a naked / fighter but didn't end up doing it.

well i'm thinking of doing it again this time with a 2012 for the traction control as i've been on an aprilia tuono v4 & come to rely on the electronics when powering hard out of corners & letting the back end slide on the traction control.

my plans are to make it look like a factory naked R1, small side pipe, new headlight, high bars, no fairings, quickshifter.

removing fairings & fitting high bars & all the other work i can do easily just wondering how hard will it be to wire up & fit a new headlight when i remove the fairings & where to get one that'll look tough but still like it came with bike ?

cheers guys if plans go ahead for this bike i'll be sure to start a thread & document it all on here

FIGHTERMC
08-12-2014, 01:27 AM
headlights will be easy to wire up mate.
I see alot of guys using the fz1 headlight unit
they are factory so the light will be good out of them.

Gix11
08-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Yep, Frank is on to it:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/SFOTM/Big-bang_R1-turbo-streetfighter.jpg

Welcome aboard mate.

chinski
08-12-2014, 07:20 PM
cheers guys that FZ light looks good, still undecided what bike i'll go with, either an off the shelf BMW S1000R, MV Brutale 800, maybe ducati "streetfighter" or to do the R1 naked thing..

leaning more towards the R1 option though at the moment, i'm sure i don't have to explain to you fellas how it'll be good to have something different to an off the shelf bike !! want people wondering WTF bike was that that overtook them on the back wheel then left black lines out of the corners hard on the gas haha !!!

not sure about resale value once i would do that to a 2012 R1 but could always go back to standard to sell i suppose..

Gix11
09-12-2014, 07:03 AM
If you want to keep the value of the bike, don't do anything to it mate. I can only think of a handful of modified bikes that have retained their value or made money in the last 20 years. Doing a half arsed job so you can return it to stock always looks, well, half arsed. This is the reason guys who aren't loaded get older bikes that they are willing to lose on for the sake of making a bike just how they want it and not being scared to do anything, hence getting the maximum satisfaction and enjoyment from the build.