PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recomend a good machinist in Melbourne?

M.V.
15-10-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm after someone to create a spacer to adapt the BMW S1000RR rear shock to suit my 6th gen VFR
(& possibly TRX), any one know of a good local machinist? CAD would be nice to make more if needed, but not essential.

Anyone good cheap & fast? (I know, pick any two!) Backyarder would be ideal, not in a hurry, but don't want to pay heaps.

Cheers, Mick.

stiffsimon
15-10-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm sure a boy with a lathe might be along soon to make a comment ;)

Alternatively there is Clyde Wolfenden over in Thomastown. Clyde is top drawer. I believe his costs reflect the quality of his workmanship. A nice bloke to.

C&C Motorcycle Engineering

2/25 Aylward Ave, Thomastown VIC 3074
(03) 9469 4774

Deano
15-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Can probably help out if you have sizes send then through

xa-mont
16-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Deano is your man. OR me (im about 3 hours from melbourne though)... OR lathe boy... OR Ben @ EC (in Sydney but does stupid amazing stuff)... so many options on here

latheboy
16-10-2014, 11:19 AM
HAHA .... "Good" is the problem here, there are plenty of machinist etc:

Do us a drawing and we can all look at it for you.

M.V.
16-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Haha, OK, sounds like I'm in the right place!

This is essentially what I want knocked up:6161

Plus another version that replaces the clevis with an eyelet. Rough dimension overall is something like 120mm x 60mm square, don't have the exact details here at the moment.

What kind of drawing? CAD? MS Paint?

I can forego good for quick & cheap, even then I'm not in a huge hurry. I have heard Wolfenden mentioned, probably above what I need in terms of price/finish.

xa-mont
16-10-2014, 01:48 PM
I'm out. Don't have the tools right now to make that. (I make round things into smaller round things until I can afford a CNC machining center to go with my cnc lathe)

M.V.
16-10-2014, 02:14 PM
I just remembered, I have the R6 version in the pic, on my bike, parked out the front. :p

So the overall block dimensions are 100mm x 45mm x 38mm. I'll have to get it off the bike to take all the machining measurements & obviously the eyelet version will take more machining.

latheboy
16-10-2014, 02:15 PM
A Cad model would be great, if not that then a 3rd angle drawing by hand.

If you want quick and cheap but don't care about quality I'm not interested.

M.V.
16-10-2014, 02:24 PM
It's not that I don't care about quality per se, but if the finish is rough, no problem, I will probably paint it anyway.

Happy to pay for quality work of course.

Well priced, not in a huge hurry, with an acceptable finish might be more accurate.

What CAD program would you recommend?

probike
16-10-2014, 05:33 PM
we can do that for you

latheboy
16-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Solidworks is good if you can.

I cant really Start working on anything for the next couple of weeks.. I'm flat out..
Deano will do a good job and you won't have to paint it.

M.V.
28-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies & info guys, but neither shock will work in the application as I wanted, back to the drawing board...

On the plus side, I found an easy to use CAD program, it's not Solidworks grade, but you can get a idea of what the part will fit like & if it will work: http://www.emachineshop.com/

In theory you can export the file to different files types, Solidworks, etc, but I never got to that stage, so might be easier said than done.

The Phantom
29-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Not everything works out huh. But you've got to have a go.

You achieved more with the VFR/R1 fork swap than many, so you're still ahead :)

M.V.
30-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Not everything works out huh. But you've got to have a go.

You achieved more with the VFR/R1 fork swap than many, so you're still ahead :)

Thanks mate. That was mostly good luck than good management I think. But yes, if you don't try...

I still have a backup plan to make the BMW shock fit to the VFR, but I need to make a metal brake first & solve the lack of bushing in the bottom of the shock (or work out if it will even be a problem), haven't given up, just changed direction.