PDA

View Full Version : To POD or NOT to POD... Filters ?

ThunderDownUnder
14-08-2014, 02:37 PM
So - I have commenced stripping down the little GSF250 Bandit and one thing I really want to do is get rid of the stock air box and put in 4 (or 2) pod filters.

For starters - I am having trouble finding individual Pod filters that fit and every forum I read or post on Pod filters says "Dooooooont Dooooo It...." (Jetting problems, BST Carbs etc,, etc,,)

Now - technically I am pretty competent. I can balance carbs, change jets etc so thats not a problem.

Do I go down the iPod path and persist, do I just give up and what are the alternatives..?

Thanks all

TDU

Cruisecontrol
14-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Pods mean more air in, which to maintain or improve performance means more fuel in (rejetting) and more exhaust out (new zorst)
I did all that with my B12 and was happy with the results. Just be careful about putting a $50 saddle on a $5 horse.

latheboy
14-08-2014, 04:01 PM
You could use just 1 pod filter!!!!!

You will need to get/make a new set of headers, mod the carby's, some Aluminium pipe, plenum, fuel pump and filter, lots of bits and pieces. Oh, and you'll need a turbo to make it all work :)

Or put 2 or 4 pods on and get it tuned.

It'll be lean as bro with pods and you can't tune it on the road by guessing.

Gix11
14-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Go the duals if anything mate. The singles are a total fuck around. I run dual K&Ns on my GSXR. Get all your parts at the same time though - meaning, if you are planning to change the exhaust can or full exhaust at any point, do it now before you re-jet. Fit up the new pipe, add the pods, get some oversized main jets and head to a dyno to dial it in. You may find yourself dicking around with an array of jets before you get it right, and they cost big (don't re-drill or you'll end up at some mental hospital), so do as much research as you can based on other people's experiences. Even then, it will never be identical to their experience as you are running a different can to them, but at least you'll get the general target size, remember going too rich is a far better experience than running it lean - that sucks.

Yella
14-08-2014, 04:29 PM
You could use just 1 pod filter!!!!!

You will need to get/make a new set of headers, mod the carby's, some Aluminium pipe, plenum, fuel pump and filter, lots of bits and pieces. Oh, and you'll need a turbo to make it all work :)

It's also cheaper to buy 1 POD than 4

Jockney Rebel
14-08-2014, 07:39 PM
i agree with Si if your bike has cv carbs individual pods will fuck with the air flow and make em flutter

Redmohawk
14-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Shoving Pods on a 250 is asking for a head ache. BUT if you want to do it , go for it (listen to Latheboy, Dyno and someone who knows what they're doing tuning carbs) But first before you take it to them to tune it. Make a set of ram tubes to fit the carbs that the pods fit to , CV carbs love smooth air . Pods shoved onto the carb cause disturbed air (turbulance) at the carb mouth making it dam near impossable to get the carb tuning just like stock smooth.

The ram tubes will make it close to the air flow characteristics of the stock box and rubber ram tubes, just more air. The combo of the tubes and pod length need to be long enough to maintain the same length as was in the stock air box from carb mouth to back wall/filter. I have setup pods on a 600 4 cyl, 250 single, 600 single twin carb, 400 4 cyl . I use a wide band oxy sensor and the road , a dyno is MUCH better.

ThunderDownUnder
20-08-2014, 09:08 AM
So I have decided to go for these http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=RC-2362

Made up a mock out of cardboard and rekon that they will touch the frame slightly

I am now investigating lengthening the inlets using 55mm radiator hose

Also the main jets are currently stamped 97.5 and are available in 105 and 110 for a reasonable price so that's not too much trouble either

TDU

Redmohawk
21-08-2014, 09:37 PM
You will prob find the idle jets are a little small , and winding the air screw all the way prob wont be enough or really suitable. So look for a set slightly bigger might be a smart option. (they're real small and a major PITA to drill out yourself) but it can be done if you get yourself a set of jet drills

blackvisor
23-08-2014, 08:06 AM
The advice given above is bang on.

pics when its done

Tony Nitrous
23-08-2014, 09:39 AM
My 10c.

Don't bother.
I used to use them on everything from Kats, big Zeds, CB750's etc etc. They worked OK
with a few issues with jetting and getting soaked in the rain and needing cleaning .

Now I never bother. Wouldn't put them on any of mine.
More modern bikes run really well with their air boxes and although some air boxes can be improved
on with a few mods its rarely worth going to pods. The design of large volume air boxes and ram air systems
makes pods look Stone Age.

One of my bikes came with 4 brand new pods still in the box, and 2 years later that's where they still are.

To me putting pods on a modern bike is a big step backwards and creates problems for little or no gain.
Person taste. I wouldn't put twin shocks on a GSXR or old skool forks on a Hayabusa either.

I know it's a "Streetfighter" forum, stock = bad, modded = good, but in reality some mods are
a benefit and others are not.

MONO
23-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Don't just fit the Pods, go the full hog....... Drum brakes front & rear