PDA

View Full Version : Selling car and Purchasing Motorcycle for 24/7 use.

TwistedLimit
20-07-2014, 03:14 PM
I am brand new to this forum/site so please bare with my noob questions.

I am thinking about selling my car (it's a 3 passenger ute) and buying a motorcycle which I would use to get to work and all around anything. I know shopping would be a hard one but apart from that, how impractical are motorcycles? I know it would suck in the rain but how bad is it? Is my idea completely irrational and crazy?

Tony Nitrous
20-07-2014, 04:21 PM
From the age of 16 to 40 I never owned a car.
Only bikes in the UK, rain, hail, freezing fog and snow.
Is it do-able? Yes.
Would I do it again? No.
Not in the UK or here.

stiffsimon
20-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Same as Tony but I gave in at about the 35 mark.

ozzy1100
20-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Same as Tony but I gave in at about the 35 mark.

Shot that long ago simon lol

Cruisecontrol
21-07-2014, 04:41 PM
My testicles are still in place and functional so I still ride every day.
It is great. Buy some good wet weather gear and get used to getting home earlier and parking wherever you want.

Gix11
21-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Good wet weather gear and a decent bag and you'll be sweet. Unless you really need the ute for family and other such shit, doing it here in Australia would sure beat the UK where I used to do it.

Tony Nitrous
21-07-2014, 07:21 PM
I could do it in the UK. Couldn't do it here.
I was single, lived close to work, worked in a factory.

Self employed / Civil Earthworks, family, dog, lifestyle, etc would make it a dumb choice for me now.
For quality of life I use a car.

There isn't a right / wrong answer.
Very much depends on the individual.

(From previous experience, having a Mrs / Girlfriend with a car makes a difference too!)

hooligan
21-07-2014, 07:59 PM
I only had a bike license for about 17 years, and got my Ps for a car 2 and a bit years ago, just before my second daughter was born.
I ride everyday ( have an MT09 as a company bike- like a company car, but heaps fucking cooler). Wet weather gear is better and cheaper now than it used to be, and rolls up smaller so is easier to carry.
Bike only in Australia is easy.

Iceman
23-07-2014, 06:42 AM
someone once told me you're not a true rider unless you have done all four seasons, I don't really see the logic in that, but I did have an 18 month period with no car, then the misses had a baby and ruined all my fun....

nemo
29-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Just picked up a ute (dual cab) now after being bike only.
Was working alright, woolies home delivers now so don't need to ride home and back 50 times just to buy groceries... Having both now works better with little one, and dog and fishing gear...