PDA

View Full Version : bit of a long shot but advice needed bout a GSX400

maggot1300
09-02-2008, 03:40 PM
hey guys I've got an old GSX400 that i've had sitting in the shed for years and I'm starting it as my first fighter project (actually got 2 of em but im keeping one for parts). Its a good bike with no damage and more importantly its complete but the motor is getting very long in the tooth and I think it its just about given up the ghost, its got fuck all compression and i really dont think its worth fixing.

anyone know if one of the larger gsx (750 maybe) motors would fit in the frame? Im not too sure of the dimensions in the frame but I'll measure it as soon as I get a chance.

btw it is air cooled [:p]

alfiestorm
09-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Have grinder and welder and anything is possible :D but for simplicity maybe a gsx550 or bandit 600 may go in without too much hassle :)

chopaweeza
09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Well . As a frame builder I know from experience that you can't shoe horn much into one of those frames. I wouldn't try to sqeeze a 750 into one either for a legion of reasons. Something to consider is that the GSX400 is now a learner legal bike in many Australian States and like many forgotten 400's have seen a reversal in their values . A runner with a Blue Slip sell for up to $2,000 and another $500 for the spares bike depending on condition. With that you could get a GSX750 or a DOHC CB750 and have cash left over to mod it. Windsor Wreckers had a GSX1100 for $1200 recently(might still be there) and they make tyre scredding monsters with little effort. Just a thought.

maggot1300
09-02-2008, 07:07 PM
cheers man but the problem is being in Victoria we dont have LAMS and I cant really imagine someone willing to pay freight on the bike...

I might still consider it but it needs a little bit of a clean up especially the motor, any good way to clean up an ally donk that has that white scale crap on it?

Large
09-02-2008, 09:14 PM
How about trying to fit a late model watercooled GSXR motor in there?

10-02-2008, 06:36 AM
how about a CR500 in there ? The last ones had compliance.....fuck knows what you'd pay for one