PDA

View Full Version : MTC Lock up clutches

stiffsimon
05-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Looking for some advice from people that know stuff. Some of you may know the bike that I'm currently building and some won't. It's based on a 1980 Suzuki GSX 1100 ET. Running a 1260 kit with some additional engine work.
When I've run a similar but not as powerful set up in the past one of the most irritating aspects of the bike was very heavy lever action and clutch slip when giving it some nant.

I've put new genuine Suzuki fibre plates in and APE HD clutch springs and will be using a new OEM clutch cable. Maybe I won't experience clutch slip but still the lever action is heavier than I would like. As the clutch is on the left side it's operated by my non self stimulation hand which is a pity cause otherwise all would be good.

My questions are has anybody any suggestions on how to make the lever action lighter and what are peoples thoughts on MTC lock up clutches? With an MTC clutch would it be better to consider a two stage or multi stage clutch?
Importantly as my bike will be mostly ridden on the street would the MTC clutches be suitable for street use as I know they're designed primarily for drag racing?

The guy that did the mods on my chassis designed and developed a beautiful slipper clutch using GSX-R 1000 components but is no longer in business so can't really go down that route.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

ALBI
06-04-2014, 12:08 AM
I used to have a GSthou and the bloke I got it off used to build kwaka 2stroke speedway engines.
Two H2 triples? Cut the left hand side pot off on one donk and the right hand side off the other and join then together to make a 1000cc 4cyl for the side cars, he told me that he used the same lock up clutch from a different model kwaka ? I don't know which one but I'll call him next Tuesday and find out , him and his old man made their own set up from what was avail during the 70s and 80s

ozzy1100
06-04-2014, 12:34 AM
why not look at a hyd convertion?

stiffsimon
06-04-2014, 08:04 AM
I was thinking of that. There was somebody on the old OSS site that did a step by step how to for a hydraulic clutch conversion but I'm not sure if that would address the clutch slip though.

ozzy1100
06-04-2014, 08:32 AM
I will be useing a MTc lock up but they don't come with out their problems.
I have a new old stock magnesium clutch basket
with extra plates and custom weight springs on hydraulic.
Is there any way you can run the hydraulic and see how you go
and look at the lock up if u have a problem?