PDA

View Full Version : Car Question - Timing Chain Change

zx12argh
07-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Anyone here changed a Timing chain on a late model car? My AU Series 2 is due I think (100,000kms?) and I dont want to pay someone else to do it.

Is it a bitch of a job? Anything in particular I should look out for? I've got a workshop manual already but sometimes they leave out the fun parts like bend your arm 90 degrees in three places to reach the bottom bolt that only turns a quarter of a turn with an open ended spanner....

alfiestorm
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
ain't cars just a bitch to work on.
Done it once on a v6 in England a few years ago and vowed never again. Had to virtually strip the engine bay of everthing and drop an engine mount no fun at all.

Good luck and remember to keep hammers and such like objects well away from the area :D

BANDITROD
07-02-2008, 10:34 AM
au are easy mate but i cant help you all the way down here other wise i would

BANDITROD
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
are you sure its fucked cos they are a pretty good chain pete it could just be your tensioner mate

zx12argh
07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks Rod - Dont thinks its fucked - but someone was telling me its due for replacement at the 100,000 service interval - I just assumed they weren't telly me BS. I'll check the manual when I get home. I need to do the waterpump at the same time.

My LPG system is playing up tho - Its backfire like a bitch. I'm hoping new plugs and leads will fix that.

As for cars being a bitch - I pulled the engine out of my 69 mini 5 times... that was something i did once and vowed never to do again.

BANDITROD
07-02-2008, 12:30 PM
shouldn't really need to change it and here is a tip for ya Gas is for cooking and unless you run straight gas set up you will always have trouble with it dude

zx12argh
07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
This is a factory set up mate, dedicated system - I dont run a duel fuel set up. Until this week its been running sweet. I think it just needs new plugs and a tune.

Jay_G
07-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Pretty sure that the falcons have a chain only, these basicly don't get replaced unless the engine is getting rebuilt.
Engines with a toothed timing belt generally have a service life of 100,000km, although on car i owned the belt service wasnt due till 160,000km.

BANDITROD
07-02-2008, 04:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

This is a factory set up mate, dedicated system - I dont run a duel fuel set up. Until this week its been running sweet. I think it just needs new plugs and a tune.
ahh thats ok then mate and jay g your right falcons actually have a true roller chain in them they last for age's so i would leave it pete unless its making alot of noise mate

zx12argh
07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah just checked out the manual - doh! whos a fucking idiot now.
Thanks anyway guys. Well - more money to spend on the 12!

Docktor
08-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Plugs,leads and maybe even a coil pack will clean backfiring up on a dedicated gas AU