PDA

View Full Version : Nihilist - Hi!

Nihilist
11-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Hi, my real name's Simon, 20 years old from Sydney, all my mates either drive cars or are 1%ers and never have time to ride so I basically joined to find some people to get my hoon on with! I have only been riding for about four months but I'm fuckin loving it and looking to learn a bit more about stunt riding etc. I love the whole streetfighter style, but I'm pretty new to this and don't really know where to start. I currently have a 1991 CBR 250 RR which is fun (revs its cunt off) but I'm getting a little bored of it already and as I'm pretty tall it's a bit uncomfortable for me to ride so I don't really wanna spend much cash on it. At the moment I'm looking at three options for a new bike:

Wait for the Harley Street 500 to come out and then fighter it and put Buell wheels on it to improve handling (no idea if that's do-able or not but I can see a lot of potential in it and fucking LOVE v-twins).
Get a VFR 400 and fighter it.
Get a CB 400 and fighter it.
Is there anything that I can do to improve the performance of the 250 in the meantime? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, my screen name is 'Nihilist' because I'm an aspiring rapper, but I'm not gunna talk too much about that unless anyone's actually interested. I think that's about it for now, look forward to getting to know you all!

Peace!

xa-mont
12-03-2014, 07:00 AM
welcome mate.

The best performance mod you could do for the 250 is loose a shit tin of weight :P that's about the only thing that's going to net any decent gains.

As for your option of next bike (still staying LAMS approved i assume?) have you considered the SV650? it's a V-twin, can be made to look mint (i used to have one - http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/showthread.php?11239-K3-SV650) and sounds awesome!

The Phantom
12-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Welcome Nihilist. Top name for a SF forum :)

I agree with xa-mont - SV650 is a better fit for someone tall, has lots of potential for customising as it's already been designed to hide a lot of the plumbing away, and ticks the v-twin box.

xa-mont- I am 'Squalo' over on AFF :)

Gix11
12-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Yea, welcome aboard mate. I agree with what the boys said. The SV or even the Hyosung maybe. Pretty much the same bike.

wackyrider
12-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Welcome mate.

I can vouch for Trav's old SV. Used to go well and he had gotten his looking pretty good too

Nihilist
12-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Sounds like the SV is the go then! What is a good price and where's a good place to find one? I know bike sales is generally rubbish but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

xa-mont
12-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Check out sidewinder forum. I haven't been on there for a while but it's a good place to find well taken care of

Nihilist
12-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Hmm couldn't find anything and the ones on bike sales are all around the 7 - 8 grand mark, is that reasonable? I did see a pretty cool naked rvf on there though, would still need a LOT of work but it's better than starting from scratch. The other bike I was thinking about which I forgot to mention is the cb500f but I don't think that'd be as quick as the SV or the rvf.

The Phantom
12-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Get on it :)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kings-cross/motorcycles/sport-touring-sv650/1040939251

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY0WDEwMjQ=/z/ZbgAAMXQRPRTG-bQ/$_20.JPG

Nihilist
12-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Test ride organised! :D I think I'll keep the Cbr just for transport while I build this bad boy!

Nihilist
12-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Also, another noob question, what tools am I gunna need (my 3 best mates are all mechanics but I dunno if there are tools specific to bikes)

The Phantom
12-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Good stuff. No point spending money on the CBR (or any 250 really), they have terrific resale when stock and your money is much better spent on a big bike.

The bike should come with an under-seat toolkit that will do all the maintenance stuff.

For more serious mods, you will need this:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7358/13011349044_4462b36106_o.jpg

:p

Got to Total Tools at Granville, or a similar quality tool shop, and buy a metric kit - sockets, combination open/ring spanners, screwdrivers, and maybe some ratcheting spanners (my ratcheting spanners are shorties, money well spent). I did exactly that and my TT Granville kit is still going strong 15 years later. Their self-branded stuff is made in the same industrial estate in Taiwan as Sidchrome and Kingchrome.

Nihilist
12-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Hahaha I'm a butcher guess I could use my kit too :P yeah I'll keep the Cbr stock and just ride it while the SV is being built, cheers for all the advice, Granville's round the corner so that's easy!

Bob
14-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Welcome mate

hutch
15-03-2014, 07:15 PM
welcome mate