PDA

View Full Version : Fire safety

Iceman
09-02-2014, 04:34 PM
It's getting pretty nasty out there.

Stay safe kids.

Don't fuck around and get out if u need to.

latheboy
09-02-2014, 05:41 PM
We have a fire plan .. Fuck the house, it's insured... It's just a house..

Redmohawk
10-02-2014, 01:39 AM
I just drove though a big ass bushfire on my way home from Sydney, 30 min from home just settling into beer mode at about 11 pm pop down the last bit of highway and nope redirected via road block by a cop. Yep down another road 30 km off to the west , funny all the tree's are on fire , and a limb two feet in diam drops onto the road . Kept going as I figured I was through the worst, misses informs me the road I came down was closed just after the cop directed me down there lol.

Beer tastes good !

ozzy1100
10-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Beer always taste good
Stay safe fuckers

DCRacing
10-02-2014, 12:28 PM
be careful blokes

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
10-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Open cut mine just up the road is having a quiet smoke right now. Fighter on the trailer ready to fuck off quick smart. Like Ivan said, the rest is just "stuff" and can be replaced by insurance.

Tony Nitrous
10-02-2014, 04:28 PM
I hear booster / maj was in the middle of it
and lost some stuff but he's OK.
All 3rd hand info but hope he's alright.
Top bloke.

ozzy1100
10-02-2014, 05:16 PM
fuck

sickboy
10-02-2014, 07:13 PM
He lost his land speed bikes and farming equipment while away fighting another fire with CFS,and as Tony said he's a top bloke and a gentleman.

ozzy1100
10-02-2014, 08:21 PM
fuck not his bikes some of those have been being built for yrs and yrs :-((((9

Tony Nitrous
11-02-2014, 05:22 AM
Saw this on another forum...........

Quote:
Greg Watters and his wife Marg were fortunate to have a home after a wildfire spread onto their farm and engulfed the workshop that contained his race bike and those of his Black Art Racing teammates. Another structure and some farming machinery were also lost. All this just weeks before their anticipated DLRA Speedweek event. Some may recall the Black Art Racing Team made a combined total of less than a half dozen runs last US salt season because events were shortened or canceled due to weather. While there is jubilation over the obvious safety of life and some property, my heart is heavy attempting to imagine how to wrap my head around the loss of bikes. The bikes are certainly replaceable, though time now becomes the precious commodity. Below is a Facebook post from Kim Krebs yesterday morning 2/9.

Kim Krebs-Fires and Summer.

The good news is that Greg is OK. This afternoon a fire raced across the region around Gregs place at such an incredible pace. As a member of the CFA, he was fighting the fire elsewhere, when the wind changed direction and he decided home was where he should be. He was able to save his home, but the machinery shed, woolshed (where the bikes are stored) and some of the cropping machinery are lost

Our race bikes are toast, so this season's DLRA meeting wont include us. Unfortunately the old DLRA timing gear that Greg was repairing to use on the short track is now a molten mess.

Iceman
11-02-2014, 06:22 AM
I spoke to Greg yesterday, he is handling it all quite well considering the circumstances, (better than i would anyway).

He has been fortunate that his home and loved ones are all ok.

latheboy
11-02-2014, 09:09 AM
He's a great guy, sad to hear about his bikes and equipment....

At least they are all ok.

Hagarr
13-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Saw this on another forum...........

Quote:
Greg Watters and his wife Marg were fortunate to have a home after a wildfire spread onto their farm and engulfed the workshop that contained his race bike and those of his Black Art Racing teammates. Another structure and some farming machinery were also lost. All this just weeks before their anticipated DLRA Speedweek event. Some may recall the Black Art Racing Team made a combined total of less than a half dozen runs last US salt season because events were shortened or canceled due to weather. While there is jubilation over the obvious safety of life and some property, my heart is heavy attempting to imagine how to wrap my head around the loss of bikes. The bikes are certainly replaceable, though time now becomes the precious commodity. Below is a Facebook post from Kim Krebs yesterday morning 2/9.

Kim Krebs-Fires and Summer.

The good news is that Greg is OK. This afternoon a fire raced across the region around Gregs place at such an incredible pace. As a member of the CFA, he was fighting the fire elsewhere, when the wind changed direction and he decided home was where he should be. He was able to save his home, but the machinery shed, woolshed (where the bikes are stored) and some of the cropping machinery are lost

Our race bikes are toast, so this season's DLRA meeting wont include us. Unfortunately the old DLRA timing gear that Greg was repairing to use on the short track is now a molten mess.

Wow that sucks big massive balls Tony!

I had the pleasure of meeting Greg & Timbo at the Island Classic and it makes it worse you now know somebody affected by this.

I've lived in the Hills for 20+ years and been very fortunate to have come out unscathed, very sorry to hear!

Redmohawk
14-02-2014, 10:20 PM
copyed and pasted off FB

A MUST READ...A TRUE AUSTRALIAN STORY

VICTORIAN FIRES TURNS WORLD’S FASTEST FARMER’S
LAND SPEED RECORD BIKES TO ASHES

Multi world record holder Greg Watters was out helping with the CFA fighting the Victorian fires right up to the point where he had to turn his efforts to try and save his own property.

Greg returned to his property with only minutes to spare which gave him enough time to get into his car, drive to safe/bare location nearby, only to physically watch his own rural property get engulfed by fire.

The CFA assisted in reducing the fire’s veracity, so the house was able to be saved, which is a credit to them.

However, all machinery sheds, which sheltered all of Greg’s land speed race bikes, GSXRs and Hayabusas, were reduced to mere ashes.

These photos truly tell the story of how savage fire can be.

Greg lost all storage sheds, workshop sheds, along with spare engines, including every tool he has even owned. The fire took hold of the shed and physically burnt the front wheel completely of the bike….astonishingly enough the bike still had half a tank of petrol in it !

Although Greg’s property was insured, this did not extend to cover any of the race bikes, engines and the thousands and upon thousands of dollars of developmental parts, past and present, including all speciality tooling, moulds, hand fabricated parts and above all, his time.

If Greg hadn’t been out with the CFA serving his community, his day may have ended a little differently.

Greg has made a decision to rebuild the farm and as a result will not be competing in Australia or Bonneville (USA) this year.

Although friends and family are already coming to the aid, Motorcycle Tyre Warehouse & friends are getting behind Greg and sending him donations so we can see Greg back bigger and better representing Australia and breaking more Land Speed Records.

If anyone else could help him get back on track sooner, we are sure it would be greatly appreciated by Greg. Any donations will be welcomed to get the bikes up and going again. Any spares, discs, forks, pads, oils, tools, GSXR or Hayabusa parts or the like, or just anything...he was left with nothing...would be a great help.

Please contact Motorcycle Tyre Warehouse on 1800 628 973 and we can assist you in forwarding your donations onto Greg.

***IF YOU HAVE READ THIS FAR.....PLEASE SHARE WITH AS MANY PEOPLE YOU CAN SO WE CAN GET BEHIND GREG****

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A little insight into Greg Watters….

Greg has always worked on a shoe string budget, just read on to see how far he has got.

We believe Greg to be our Australian version of Burt Munro.

"In 2006, Greg Watters and Kim Krebs met Californian fireman Jim Higgins in the middle of nowhere .... that’s nowhere Australian-style. One hundred and thirty miles from the nearest town and 100 miles at the end of a rough dirt road. It’s BYO everything (water, fuel, food, shelter and parts). That’s Land Speed Racing in Australia, at Lake Gardiner.

Greg and Kim were sharing a 1999 turbo GSX1350R and Jim freighted his Buell (with help from Ack Attack, who brought his streamliner and a few other fast Americans such as Joe and Jon Amo and John Noonan). Like all LSR, nothing goes like you plan. The dusty 160km track into Lake Gairdner is an adventure in itself. The isolation is another. Jim hurt the motor on his turbocharged/nitrous Buell very early in the week long speed trial, which gave him time to mingle ... ... and so the Aussie LSR friendship began.

A bit of luck...

In 2008, Greg travelled to the USA to do a reconnaissance of the Bonneville Salt Flats, with the help of Jim. But no adrenalin seeking LSRer can turn up empty handed. Having bought a sight-unseen 1999 GSXR 750 on eBay, Greg carried the turbo unit as hand luggage onto the flight to San Francisco. A bit of frame straightening, installation of the turbo, and a snappy fresh paint job (all done in one week) saw Jim and Greg ,with the help of crew chief Mick Donohue, set about breaking a few 750 records. It could only be described as a successful recon trip.

The records begin.....

In 2009, Kim joined Greg and Jim – the three riders sharing a 1996 and the eBay 1999 model GSXR 750 (both turboed). The Black Art team set 7 new AMA, FIM and SCTA records and were starting to learn how to ride fast, safely, and with reliability.
In 2010, the team set a further 6 motorcycle land speed records, with Greg Watters setting the BUBs Speedtrial meet’s outright fastest motorcycle speed, beating even the streamliners. Kim retained the record of fastest Australian Woman’s motorcycle land speed racer, and was awarded the SheEmoto Award from Erin Hunter. Kim is the first person outside of the USA to be recognised and awarded this honour from Erin Hunter. In 2010, El Mirage also got a visit, with Greg earning a "200 Dirty Red Cap", Jim setting a new naked blown 750 record and Kim getting her Rookie runs under her belt.

In 2011, with new body work bought from 2010 prize money, Black Art Racing headed back to the USA to set more records. It turned out to be a year of finding problems. More importantly, it ended up as a year of solving problems. Although the electrical, mechanical and aerodynamics all conspired against the team, they still managed to qualify for records and to gain the attention of other racers.

In 2012, the team returned to the Bonneville Salt Flats, this time joined by fellow Australian Neill Finlay who met Jim, Greg and Kim in 2009. Joining us in the Black Art pits, his turbocharged Hayabusa added to the team's racing fleet, now expanded to Greg riding a 1407cc turbo Hayabusa, Kim on the turbo GSXR 750 and Jim on the naked turbo GSXR 750. Running at BUBs, World of Speed and Cook's Shootout, the team successfully set 3 American SCTA records, qualified for one SCTA record, and set two FIM World Records. Both Kim and Neill earning their "Red Hats" and joining the prestigious Bonneville 200 MPH club. Kim is one of only 5 women in the world who are members of the 200 MPH Club via motorcycle records.

Greg's SCTA 2012 record of 253.3mph earned him the title of the fastest sit on bike at the salt at any SCTA event ever.

2013 was a Land Speed Racing campaign that was impacted on by rain. The last two days of BUBs Speedtrials was washed out and World of Speed was cancelled due to the continued inundation of water over the salt flats. Despite the perseverance of the organisers, eventually Mike Cook's Bonneville Shootout was also washed out. A new date of 10-14 October wasn't an option as we had the return back to Australia, including the shipping freight of the race bikes. By the close of the 2013 racing season, all the land speed records held by Black Art Racing were maintained, and the team continues to be elite world performers.

Black Art Racing is gaining an international profile, and 2013 has featured in a series of Nurofen television ads that are shown across the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. This exposure is helping to raise the profile of both Black Art Racing and the sport of land speed racing." *

* Content courtesy of www.blackartracing.com (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blackartracing.com%2F&h=GAQEN3R0R&enc=AZPfpZkXI1Iub7qMngoTcH-mUTH8LCVPKIebjESMbgb33bzy3ShMqI0Keirp1rKWF3sy2Chwc l_6UPGR4FRsHJmSVUhXV07zBc0K8_qgLRC8JjqNZagLZbYquph Y0S53k3E0BKSj-h-bREc6v3c74NRR&s=1)

ozzy1100
15-02-2014, 06:56 AM
The real deal!!!!!!!!