PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Trick bits for my fighter project.

Res7
05-02-2008, 10:00 AM
I recently bought Mad postie's Gpx 600 projec and rode it to sydney. Now that i have it home i'm all keen to start the mods. it already has the twin lights and acewell fitted (see mad postie's build up), and now i'm interested in finding out about a new front end. I've heard tell that gsxr forks and tree will fit but I think they need some modification to do so. I'm also unsure about what year and if there are any other fronts that will smack straight on. i would also like to inject the bike as i'm having the same drama Postie had with the jets ant pod filters. But it did survive the ride from bris to sydney in torrential rain without chokeing to much on all the wet stuff. Which supprised me as the pods stick out the sides. I have also heard talk about the engine being the same as is in the later injected Ninjas. If so can i put the injection from said bikes onto mine, and if so what year and what is involved. The single sided singarm mod is on my mind too, but seems an expensive and tricky proposition. any help would be more than welcome, or just reply to say hi. If you are as clueless as me, we already have something in common. Cheers, Res7[u]</u>[u]</u>[u]</u>

Iceman
05-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Welcome aboard Kane, try these guys for parts

http://ausfr.com.au/

and this bloke for help with mods

http://www.extremecreations.com.au/

Res7
05-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Cheers for the link Iceman. Any knowledge or anicdotal advice would also be welcome

Res7
05-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Anyone know of a good bike shop in sydney? Someone who will take the time to discuss the project and doesn't charge a mint? Streetfighter friendly mechanics are hard to find.

Cruisecontrol
05-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Two choices:

A) Pay through the nose or B) Do it yourself...

03gixxerpilot
05-02-2008, 02:49 PM
G'day kane do have some photos of the bike as it is post them up and keep us up to date with the progress on it. i am keen to see your how it turns out as a mate of mine has a '86 gpx750 that he wants to fighter, we already have an idea of what he wants to do to it and have a lot of parts ready to go , 5.5" rear, USD front end to go on it, we are also going to put a new (moderen) tail unit on it but havent decided which one yet.

Good luck with the build.

03gixxerpilot
05-02-2008, 02:57 PM
you will find that you will have to press out your head steam out of your triple set and use that in the new triple set (more that likly,) it is easy to do, i just went out an measured the length of the steams and your is longer than the gixxers. i have done one simliar to yours reasently and used steped bushes to retro fit the earlyer stem to th late triples, all went beautifully. We are looking at putting in an CBR 929 USD into my mates GPX750 which i will have done by tomorrow if you would like the details i will send them down to you.

Gix11
05-02-2008, 03:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Iceman

Hi Res. Clint neglected to mention that Ben (Extreme Creations) and Stu (AUSFR) are members here mate. You'll fine them around these parts with the user names of:

Ben = EXBEN
Stu = Qickdraw (yea, he can't spell)

Iceman
06-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Sorry Kane:(, I forgot that not everybody knows that these guys are ASF members.

Res7
12-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. sorry i haven't been around. I have been concentrating my effort on trying to get an apprenticeship with a bike shop in sydney. I have been trying really hard to get in with Deus Ex Machina, as they make some pretty mad bikes o'er there. I'm 30 years old and it's time i started doing someting i will wnt to do for the rest of my life. I'm signed up with a company called Automotive Group Training, which works out really well. The shop I end up working for gets 100% of my wages back at tax time. and being 30 also means the govt. will give the employer the difference between adult and normal apprenticeship wages. so it's win win for them. they effectively get me, (a mature age employee who wants to learn and is over all the crap that comes with being a teenager)for the price of a green kid, plus a tax benefit.So if any of you run or know anyone who runs a bike shop that does costomizing, please refer them to this post or let them know about me. This community seems like a really helpfull place to be. And i'll get some pics up soon. the bike is not much, and it's a bit tired, but i'll get there eventually. Cheers guys.

chopaweeza
12-02-2008, 08:58 AM
At the lower end of the price scale doing reliable custom work in Sydney are Fat Tony & myself. FT had a breakdown last year but I keep hearing reports that he's back up & running but the work output is sporadic(he does great work though). At the moment I'm juggling the XR600 rigid & the Honda Build Off bike for customers so I'm tied up til after Easter doing those. If you are stuck give me a yell and I'll see what I can do for you.

Res7
13-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Here is an interesting bike update for you all. I rode to the city and back a couple of days ago no probs, but yesterday i rode to Bunnings and when i tried to leave, the bike she no go. i did manage to get it started a couple of times but the stopping occured directly after. lots of starter motor, but no bang bang. then lo and behold i lost all but warning lights on my acewell all in one spedo unit too. I hate electrics and now have a lump of unrideable black Kwaka. If anyone wants to hear the story of how she got home just let me know. Cheers.

Gix11
13-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Does it involve midgets, dancing girls and a bag of self rasing flour? If it does, fill us in.

BANDITROD
13-02-2008, 11:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Does it involve midgets, dancing girls and a bag of self rasing flour? If it does, fill us in.
yes please do

Res7
15-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Not so much the migets, more the crushing depression, determination and soul clensing relief. I shall tell it. As we know the bike was dead at bunnings. This was bad. I have only been in NSW for 7 mths and have not much in the way of supportive mates with trailers and utes. So I was stuck. Pushing was the only option as the tow quotes hovered around the $100 mark for the 4.5 min juorney. As i set out i was marvelling at the beauty of science as the heavy bich rolled allong with ease. That is when i found the footpath for the next klik or so was overgrown grass that was none too flat. I pressed on seeing it as a challenge to rise above, and imagining the welcome i would get from my girl when i finally arrived home at about dinner time. As the storm broke i was still feeling the matyrdom glowing from my skin when I saw Europcar dead ahead. I rolled her in to the parking lot looking as in control as you can when wet, sweating, puffing, and trying not to slip over in the oil on th ground and said, "how's ya day been mate." At which point the young salesman started to smile. I felt like a Fish in a barrel. I needed a vehicle and he knew it. In the end i bargained a moving van with a hydraulic lifter for 20 bucks cash and prommised to be back in 15 mins. There was no heroic homecomming, or hand fed grapes from my loving partner. In fact she was arriving home helmet in hand as i pulled up in the truck. She called me a cheater and helped me unload. not much of a story really.

Res7
15-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Now back to the point of the thread. The carbs on my 88 gpx 600 have been jetted, when te air box was on it seemed to run poorly down low. and when the supplied pod filters were on it ran poorly up high in the revs. As I was about to ride from brisvegas to sydney with all my crap piled on with me i chose the pods.Down low was what i needed for the ride. Now i am exploring options. I would love to inject the bike and have been told that the same motor came out with injection. I'd love some help as i have not a clue about how practical or costly this exercise could be. If injecting is not gonna happen i'll go back to the origional jets and an airbox. just thought it would be worth doing if it's not to hard. Any advice would be really apreciated.

qickdraw
15-02-2008, 09:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

quote:Originally posted by Iceman

Hi Res. Clint neglected to mention that Ben (Extreme Creations) and Stu (AUSFR) are members here mate. You'll fine them around these parts with the user names of:

Ben = EXBEN
Stu = Qickdraw (yea, he can't spell)

Hey - I resent that remark! Well, actually no I don't but I can't let it pass without at least trying to stick up for myself.
The reason that qickdraw is spelt sans 'U' is because when I originally registered for an internet account the username quickdraw (do I really need to go into why I'm known as that?) was already taken & I knew I wouldn't remember anything else, so I removed the 'U' & registered that one instead... Ever since then all of my 'net account user names have been 'qickdraw'. See? Simple - just like me.[:I]

Sorry Res7 - I'll stop hijacking your thread now! Give me a call if you need any bits & I'll look after you as best I can.

Res7
16-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Anyone got any ideas for a nice slim tail section that is 2 up? i was thinking firestorm but i'm open to sugestion?