PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Melbourne

M.V.
09-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi everyone! I'm Mick, I live in Melbourne & I ride a Yamaha TRX850. It's black, matte black mostly, actually, with cut down CF pipes & upgraded suspension & brakes, but it's not a streetfighter. I am working on a track VFR800 in my shed, which is also not a streetfighter...

So now you're thinking "Well, WTF are you here for?"

& a fair question it would be too! ;)

I doubt my TRX will ever be a streetfighter unless I throw it down the road, but you guys do a lot of stuff that's relevant to my VFR project: Front end swaps, tail swaps, SSSA & general bastardising of bikes, so I'm here to learn basically!

Look forward to hanging around, looks like a lively place!

Cheers.

timbo
09-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Welcome mate

hooligan
09-01-2014, 04:22 PM
welcome, i had a TRX back in 96 (my first full sized non learner bike), and now have a 2000 model vfr800. we'll get along fine.
The vfr has ducati wheels, gsxr front end, a front mount rad, and an sp1 oil cooler, among other things.

CICCO
09-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Welcome

M.V.
09-01-2014, 05:38 PM
welcome, i had a TRX back in 96 (my first full sized non learner bike), and now have a 2000 model vfr800. we'll get along fine.
The vfr has ducati wheels, gsxr front end, a front mount rad, and an sp1 oil cooler, among other things.

I like you already! I hope your TRX was black...

My VFR will have an R1 front end, GSXR tail, maybe a car rear wheel unless I can find a decent VFR one for not much coin & a heap of extra shit removed! How hard was the SP1 oil cooler to fit? Need an oil cooler for mine.

xa-mont
09-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Welcome mate

BANDITROD
09-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Welcome mate

wackyrider
09-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Welcome mate. I'll get back to you shortly on the PM

hooligan
09-01-2014, 07:44 PM
I've got my OEM Vfr oil cooler if you want it?
What year is your VFR? The sp1 cooler fits using the OEM lines on the 5th gen, but because I moved it to down low behind the headers to make room for the front mounted radiator, it was a. Bit of a pain to get the new lines made up.
Don't fit a car wheel for a track bike, buy the rear wheel off Jules.

hyofighter
09-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Welcome man more vfr owners good to see . Oil cooler I fitter a car powersteering cooler works a treat never had a issue with it on my vfr

M.V.
10-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Cheers for the welcome guys, & the leads, some very good info there!

Hey hooligan, is your oil cooler a 6th gen? If so, I'm interested. (mine's 6th gen, 2002)

At this point I'd rather fit a genuine one, cos I know it will work with the R1 front end, but it's good to have options. I need to get a rear wheel, then I can work on front end geometry & subframe adapter. Apparently there's not much clearance to the oil coller with the stock front end.

geesexar
10-01-2014, 10:19 AM
welcome aboard MV

M.V.
10-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Here's what I'm working with:

R1 front end, woodcraft bars & Brembo radial M/C mocked up. A lot of people on the VFR forum are using 954/SP1 triples, which bolt into the VFR, but are 4mm wider, hence needing spacers for the axle & discs. That sounded too hard, so I found a top bearing with VFR outer, R1 inner dimensions, bottom bearing was the same, bingo! Bolt on. Steering stops need work, but I have removed them & cleaned up the casting marks.

This is the frame & tail, top mounts will fit with a longer bolt & spacer between the arms, bottom mounts will need spacers put in to adjust height/angle, pretty simple though

hyofighter
10-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Good to know about the bearing swap works I put a 954 clamp set and 929 forks in mine also had to do a steering stop mod too as the cbr ones were too far away from hitting the stops so I drilled and tapped them screwed some socket head screws in and there good being fully adjustable as when I was running clip on the vfr tank doesnt accommodate for clipons in its shape and the lock to lock is pretty average still it was fun . As for wheels you want a early generation wheel as there wider than the vfr 5 spoker or a 800 one or even the cb1000r like I did though I modded the cb1000r front rim to fit so I had matching wheels . I also remember I had to do a rear disk rotor bolt flip and trim the tops of them to fit the cb wheel also needs to be done for the 800 wheel hence why the easy swap is the gen3 8 spoker still only 5.5 wide compared to the 5 thats on it . I did look at the car wheel route and no one makes a 17x6 in a honda pattern you can have a different offset and go as wide as you like but then it is out of wack to the centre line of the bike and personally I reckon that it would handle up the shit . I run 180 on my 5.5 its fine the bike handles well though the chain is close I dont reckon you would get a 190 on it with out it touching plus I think that that would be a bit wide for a 5.5 rim

hooligan
10-01-2014, 01:02 PM
the VFR oil cooler i have is a 5th gen.
If i was doing it again, I wouldnt bother with the SP1 cooler, i'd just get a small universal oil cooler like hyo did.
The SP1 is good if you mount it in the OEM location on a 5th gen. Since i mounted the oil cooler in a different place anyway, a cooler with universal fittings would have been easier.
You can use a TL1000R top radiator for a cheap front mount rad, too. That's why i moved my oil cooler.
Have a look at the NFR picture thread and you'll see my front mount and SP1 oil cooler relocation/modification.

hutch
11-01-2014, 08:22 AM
welcome mae

M.V.
11-01-2014, 09:21 AM
The bearing is not a common one, 47mm x 30mm x 15mm... Apparently that doesn't exist. I found a 12mm high one & ordered a couple from Alibaba, quality is not great, but I've got a spare I guess. If it doesn't hold up, I'll find a better one. 12mm high works fine.

I would prefer to use a VFR rear wheel if I can find one for a decent price, this is supposed to be a low budget build (I know, no such thing). I have a wheel spacer here that will allow pretty much perfect alignment of a 17x7 with 40mm offset. I can pick those up pretty cheap, but between the adapter & the wheel I will be adding kg's of unsprung mass, not ideal.

I came up with a design for the subframe adaptors in the shower the other day, I need to bust out the angle grinder & mig to see if I can make it work. Problem is I can't weld for shit!

Major hold up at the moment is not having a rear wheel, can't work out subframe angle, ride height, front end geometry...

Good info on the oil cooler, thanks guys! I'll start looking for a universal one. It has been suggested I could run without an oil cooler, but I'd rather not risk it, I think the VFR's run a bit hot anyway.

I have a build thread on VFRD, not sure if I can link it here though?

M.V.
12-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Spent a bit of time dicking around in the shed today with a beer or two, starting to come together.

It's a very rough mock up, but Plastics are lining up pretty well & I'll need about a 100mm spacer for the tail angle. It's directly in line, so I might just grab a couple of those adjustable turnbuckle things, that way I can play with the tail height easily.

Not really into video games, but I found this on eBay, it's a bike for playing on after all!

I'm starting to think a naked trackbike might be a good thing, heaps cheaper too.

Bob
12-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Welcome mate