PDA

View Full Version : Is there a cheaper option to supercharge a bike?

zx12argh
04-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Obviously an off the shelf kit like this is going to cost - paying someone else to do the development....

http://www.tts-performance.com/catalog/content/english/download/zx12.pdf

But after all the stuffing around to do something custom do you end up paying the same? I dont have access to tools/machine shop tho I am a bright spark and can design most of what I need. I just need the info.

Anyone got some good resources? I'm just blue skying at the moment. Nothing happening if at all till next year but I reckon after seeing what Hos came through with I think its worth investigating.

HOS
05-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Having seen what Mr Fisher of GH Racing did with mine, I think it would be easy enough to do this or similar, if your good enough with bike mechanics. Apart from the setting up of the bike fuelling that is.
I`ve removed a few bits and refitted them differently on mine.
Almost all of this stuff is "bolt on" !
Its mostly an assembly job, as long s you know which parts to use in the build it should`nt be that hard to DIY.

Getting the spec sheet right for how much power you want to make would be the difficult part I reckon. Knowing which bits are neeeded to match others. The spec sheet for my 240 bhp bike is very different to a bike making over 350 bhp or again over 500 bhp.
Once you know what components you need, it just becomes an assembly job as for a normal bike engine almost.
If you had someone who could help you decide a spec that works then thats half the job done.

We left my bike expandable to a degree. At the current power output, we kept stock crank, stock rods and bearings, stock cams, pretty much stock clutch. Only engine internals are JE turbo pistons and cometic gaskets top and bottom.

I reckon the plumbing and lectrics would be the more difficult part for me, mainly because I`m horribly useless with electrics. :D

We even used a generic fuel map to then modify to what we needed.
Saves a lot of time and effort on the dyno.

HOS
05-02-2008, 03:59 AM
Thinking about the costs, heres a basic list of components on mine:

Small sized Rotrex S/C, Mounting bracket, induction pipe, intercooler.
JE turbo pistons.
2 x Cometic gaskets.
New oil cooler. ( Relocated)
Alloy plenum chamber.
New race fuel pump and regulator.
Lots of plumbing.
PC111 USB hub.
PC111 Ignition module.
Modify exhaust headers to miss blower.
New race fuel lines.
Cutting fairing (if needed: for pulleys)
New wiring and work to do with wiring.
Dyno time.

That is just off the top of my head, yeah theres some more bits and pieces, but thats about it.

How much would that parts list cost in Aus ?

HOS
05-02-2008, 04:05 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/864183972109810.JPG

This shows the install pretty much complete.

Booster
05-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Lots Hoss ;)
Costs are a bit higher to turbo a 12 than a busa because of airbox/monocoque , busa pistons are forged std 12's are not, so even for modest levels of boost aftermarket pistons are a good option.
Priced a rotorex supercharger here in Aust and from US , there was over $1000 au difference in price, could probably do better direct from roterex but i was also costing brackets from the US source (which now seems unreliable :( TTS would be better )
And like turbo's the supercharger is only part of the cost.

fimpBIKES
05-02-2008, 07:47 AM
3300 pounds is a fair whack of money mate!

just whack some giggle gas on it

zx12argh
05-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks Hos - Booster, I plan on putting that useless uni knowledge into and designing any extra bits myself... I think I'm going to have to get myself an engineer tho to make it road legal - thats an extra cost on top of all those bits.

3300 pounds is almost $8000 at the moment... but I prefer the constant power of supercharger over the brief fun of NOS - i've never experienced it but i'm guessing its kind of pointless on the street... and very illegal. I actually want to build a bike that can get through a coppers scrutineering and get off lightly...

I've been throwing this idea around for about a year now... Figure it can't hurt to knowledge up on it... If I do it I'll be getting the parts together gradually... Any information - resources you guys can throw at me is much appriciated.

fimpBIKES
05-02-2008, 04:02 PM
yeah, but how often do you actually need full power on a street bike anyways?

KRASH
05-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Never.... But isn't it nice to have it :D
Don't need to pull the fairings off either... but we do...

zx12argh
05-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Heaps of reasons fimp - mainly just to go fast then you [:p]
As I'm saying I'm just fact finding - the 12 isn't running right at the moment - has never in fact. Its been a bit of a mechanical lemon to be honest. So I'm either going to rebuild the engine with go faster bits or go all out and have a bit of a weapon. I've got a ute and a daily rider so I'll be building a toy... Besides its not the destination its the journey...

Booster
06-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Probably best to find the current prob and get it right before adding any more complications,otherwise it could haunt you .

What size injectors are on the 12 std ?your going to get roughly 10 hp /psi increase and fuel needs are roughly 5cc/hp. commonly on the stg 1 turbo kits available a FMU is used that raises fuel pressure ~6:1, this lets you keep std injectors for normal running,easy start and good transition from trailing to open throttle but bumps up fuel pressure to more suit needs as boost increases.http://www.bellengineering.net/Pages/products_FPR.html
You will need to replace the std fuel pump to cope with extra supply.
Powercommander will be ok for mapping as the supercharger boost pressure is more directly related to throttle position than a turbo.
http://www.rotrex.com/ , something like a c30 should cover all needs,
http://www.sprintex.com.au/index.asp i think these are physicaly bigger but haven't seen clearly one mounted on a bike

fimpBIKES
06-02-2008, 08:19 AM
fair enough, yeah if it isnt a daily then you may as well go nucking futs!!!! :D

zx12argh
06-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah will be finding this glitch hopefully well before I take a spanner to the engine.
Thanks booster - thats a great start!

HOS
06-02-2008, 06:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

yeah, but how often do you actually need full power on a street bike anyways?

The great thing about power on my bike is how it comes in from 2000 rpm smoothly right to the top. Compared to stock Busas which are full of fuelling glitches on the 4 previous I`ve owned and compared to a piped and chipped Busa even, the supercharger install is super smooth and with almost perfect fuelling.
The bike is much, much more rideable than a stock Busa.
So even without using full power, I`ve got a much better running bike.
Roll on power is shattering mind you..... all damned addictive :D[:p][:p][:p]