PDA

View Full Version : Motogadget m-Lock compatability

stiffsimon
26-11-2013, 06:59 PM
OK. So I've got a Scorpio SR-i900 alarm immobiliser for my bike (1980 Suzuki GSX 1100 ET for those that don't know).
I had a remote start system ready for installation but have decided not to use it but also don't want to use the ugly original ignition barrel and key (and no, I don't want to hide the ignition barrel somewhere else).

That left me looking for an alternative and as I love Motogadget stuff I thought I'd use the m=lock. Unfortunately on Motogadgets website it states:

NOTE: We do not recommend using the m-Lock combined with immobilizers! Contact your dealer/manufacturer for informations about the possible deactivation of the immobilizer.

So I contacted Scorpio alarms and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting us and for your continued support.
Unfortunately with very limited knowledge on the M-lock, we can only explain our systems installation requirements. Knowing our system as well as we do there is nothing about this product that should cause it not to work while our alarm is installed. Our alarm is not connected to the ignition system in any way, we read the tail light to know when the ignition is on or off.
Again, I see no issue on our side.

I've emailed Motogadget with the same compatibility issue but as of yet haven't received any response from them yet,

So my question is, does anybody know or can hazard a guess as to why the RFID m-Lock is not compatible with the RFID SR-i900 alarm immobiliser and probably more importantly any way around this?

I find it unusual that a company like Motogadget is selling a Hi tech product like the m-Lock that is not compatible with RFID alarm immobilisers as these things (alarm/immobilisers) are marketed as safe, modern, blah, blah, blah and so many bikes have them fitted nowadays.

Redmohawk
26-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Almost all alarm immobilisers use current loop sencing (tail light circuit etc) The M lock will put a ripple on the 12 volt system and cause false triggers. And nope not an easy fix.

stiffsimon
26-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Cheers mate I suspected that you might have something to say on this.When you say not an easy fix what do you mean?

From my ignorant point of view it seems like all you need to do is isolate or bypass these loop sensing systems? Or create an independent "system" that the m-Lock will identify.

As I say though electrics is is not a strong point for me and I was in my mid twenties before I could wire a household plug without instructions.

ozzy1100
26-11-2013, 09:17 PM
well looks like you cant use that m-lock simon better just give it to me then.

Redmohawk
26-11-2013, 09:33 PM
The problem is the alarm is setup so if someone fucks with the bike in a way that changes the electrical system in any way before its disarmed , it goes off. This is because old alram systems used all manner of setups that tended to wander and false trigger so often that people took them back to the installer to be removed or you next door neighbour did it for you with an axe.

So now they don't false trigger as often but are very sensitive to being messed with by other electronic equipment , "Electronic Noise" on the wires is the issue. You can try to fit a choke/capacitor into the power section of your ignition forming a tuned tank circuit that will filter out some noise. But its a suck it and see situation , without shoving a osiliscope onto the situation to see whats going on and at what frequencys your just shooting in the dark.

Then you also have to contend with the not slight current drain on your battery of the ignition , this will also upset the alarm. So on a trickel charger when home if your not riding every day. (and the trickel charger is most likely going to piss the alarm off a shit load to)

After all that good news if your still keen to have a go, a relitivly cheap option to suck n see is eeasy enough. Pop down to an electronics store like jacar or a car audio store that accually know what they are talking about .. Ask for a "choke" to go onto your car radio (or ask to look through they're junk radios for one , its a little plastic box on the red or yellow power line about 30mm square. it just goes in line (serise) with the positive feed to the ignition . You also want a electrolic capacitor of at least 25 volt and 1000 uf (jacar about $2.50 prob) this is polarity sensitive (will have a - on one side , this goes to earth close to ignition and other side goes to ignition with choke after.

The choke limits ripples of current and the cappacitor smooths out voltage fluctuations (generlisations that are far from accurate but close enough for laymans terms)

Personally after fitting numerous alarms of every type imaginable (and designing a few myself for bikes over the years) The best option I would go for in your case is send it back and ask for a refund on the alarm (THEY ARE ALL A WASTE OF TIME EFFORT AND PISS EVERYONE OFF INCLUDING THE OWNER 99.9% of the time)

Spend some money at jacar on a gps tracker (be cheaper than the alarm) its got free software and has a spot for a sim card you will know where your bike is 100% of the time (you can look it up on a smart phone) and can go get it if some fucker steals it. (Cops will do fuck all even if your standing beside the house its in and you ring them , ask me how I know this !) Most stolen bikes are not ridden away anyhow.

Redmohawk
26-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Tell you what , If I get to the drags this weekend I'll hand the relivant junk to who ever might see you next with a scribble on how to hook it up on paper .

ozzy1100
26-11-2013, 09:53 PM
what would happen if you just used the imoby to trigger a relay on the main feed to the m-unit instead of ingition
imoby on cuts power to rest of bikeimoby off good to go
ps bike should never be out of sight so there should never be a problem

Redmohawk
26-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Might be possable to set it up that way , depends if the imob has an output to trigger a relay. If the imob earths out the ignition to kill it and nothing else its not worth bothing with. If it has a second + trigger (unlikely) its easy enough to wire in a relay.

oldskool
26-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Easy to steal a scorpio equiped bike then, just pull the tail light plug?

stiffsimon
27-11-2013, 06:06 AM
Thanks Adam. That's shed some light on the matter. I'm starting to think that my immobiliser is going to be ending up on Ebay soon. Turns out that the m-Unit I have has an "integrated alarm system(now with position independent gravity sensor"

I only found this out after I'd bought the Scorpio alarm, shit.

I'll catch up with you on Saturday as it looks like I'll be at the drags

Redmohawk
27-11-2013, 07:21 AM
Easy to steal a scorpio equiped bike then, just pull the tail light plug?

Nope that alters the loop and the alarm is triggered, any messing with the electrical system sets it off. Doesn't matter if the bikes ignition is on or off.

Redmohawk
27-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks Adam. That's shed some light on the matter. I'm starting to think that my immobiliser is going to be ending up on Ebay soon. Turns out that the m-Unit I have has an "integrated alarm system(now with position independent gravity sensor"

I only found this out after I'd bought the Scorpio alarm, shit.

I'll catch up with you on Saturday as it looks like I'll be at the drags

Its a serise of metal posts with a ball bearing inside a metal cap, when the bike is armed the alarm looks to see whick posts are conducting (due to the ball sitting on them) if the bike moves so does the ball and the alarm trips. They false trigger alot with wind, Pain in the ass .

You can prob figure out I really hate alarms by now, Even the best ones are pritty much junk.

ozzy1100
27-11-2013, 11:11 AM
What he said...... K.I.S.S works the best