PDA

View Full Version : Are streetfighters a dieing breed??

damo1
25-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi guys, just wondering your thoughts of the above.

There doesn't seem top be a lot of streetfighter build activity on here, there is more resto mods, restos and café racers getting built.

It seems the same on a number of different forums around and was wondering what you guys are all thinking of it.

With all the factories building stout naked's now do you think the true heritage of the streetfighter build is going to be lost??

It seem's the write off laws are not helping either, so guys ??? your thoughts????

cheers damo

Redmohawk
25-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Has been quiet here for local fresh builds of late

stiffsimon
25-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes indeed S/F projects do seem to be getting a bit this on the ground.Hopefully though in a few weeks time I'll have some updates and pics on my project, hopefully.

nick76
25-11-2013, 04:03 PM
It seem's the write off laws are not helping either, so guys ??? your thoughts????
cheers damo

I reckon this ^^^^^ has alot to do with it.
Getting bikes rego'd,seems to be getting harder and harder,bikes have to be nearly standard now,so spending afew years putting a beast together....is near pointless now....unless you buy a rego'd bike...and keep paying rego while she's in bits in your garage.
Coppers pulling people up for fender eliminators doesn't help either.....imagine the fines a streetfighter would get if the copper wanted to be a cunt??

Redmohawk
25-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Joining a bike club with club rego in Vic is a smart move, to help with mods on bikes. Coppers seem much more relaxed once it has a club plate on it. Things still need to be roadworthy , but you can get away with alot more thats not standard.

stiffsimon
25-11-2013, 05:53 PM
That's the route that seems to make most sense to me. 90 days is a lot of riding for a bike that isn't your daily transport. We all know people that have several bikes club rego'ed that gives them a lot more flexibility

Cruisecontrol
25-11-2013, 06:41 PM
So is the English language...
I have never seen so many modified bikes as I have in recent months.
They may not be fighters but they are far from stock. As stated, naked bikes are everywhere straight out of the factory but that was inevitable.

Iceman
25-11-2013, 07:16 PM
I think my turbo bike not being reliable has been the downfall of the whole Streetfighter scene across the world....

Sorry

CICCO
25-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Well I'm new to the streetfighter world and Iv started a ground up build so there are ppl out there.... I think it's true that ppl just buy what's available straigh from the showroom... It's a lot to do with time and money I think

Yella
25-11-2013, 08:16 PM
I think my turbo bike not being reliable has been the downfall of the whole Streetfighter scene across the world....

Sorry

So you should be

ozzy1100
25-11-2013, 08:18 PM

Sorry

where is jacktar when you need him ;-)

wackyrider
25-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Good point, where is Jacktar? Haven't heard from him in ages

Redmohawk
26-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Probably hazing Pollywogs.

TurboKat
26-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Sorry
8 years ago, me, Shano, Deano & Full Throttle Foxy sat you down in a motel room in Jindabyne & sternly advised you to STREETFIGHTER the RF instead of the GS...

Now look what you've done.

Azrael
26-11-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm about to start building a frame up fighter that's taken me 3 years to plan, so is burnsie.. I see no end to this.

Iceman
26-11-2013, 05:51 PM
8 years ago, me, Shano, Deano & Full Throttle Foxy sat you down in a motel room in Jindabyne & sternly advised you to STREETFIGHTER the RF instead of the GS...

Now look what you've done.

The RF was on eBay on the weekend, I was nearly gunna buy the fucker back.....

sharky
27-11-2013, 06:03 AM
It's still possible to build a fighter despite all the rules......just arm ya self with a copy of the adr's and build within the parameters.....my xjr is far from stock but doesn't attract attention from the cops..

EXBEN
27-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Hell No !!!
I can't see people ever stop wanting to modify their bikes no matter how hard the government tries to deter it.
If you look at what the manufacturers are doing in recent years there's a definite trend to them offering factory fighters with more aggressive styling rather than just a detuned naked bike, they don't just pull these ideas out of the air, they look at whats popular & what's the next big thing. So that means we need to constantly evolve the breed to keep giving them ideas, I think the main reason there's been a downturn in builds lately is purely financial, everyone seems to be doing it tough lately but this will change, on the up side having no money also seems to enhance peoples creativity & they tend to use what they've got laying around, I love this kind of ingenuity, it gives people inspiration (me included).
Personally I'm looking forward to 2014 as I've got a couple of big builds planned, one of them is a new bike for me (finally) which I've been collecting parts for over the last few years.

davo
28-11-2013, 07:53 PM
like neon's n shit?

Large
28-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Check the latest streetfighter from Kawahasaki.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr172/Troppo_bucket/NEC bike show Nov 13/DSC01192_zps9149ab11.jpg

kev@vcm
29-11-2013, 04:30 AM
Well my fighter project didn't sell so screw I'm keeping the Kunt and trying to finish it lmfao yeah try I will guys , need to make a decision on the tail unit once and for all and then just keep working away at it slowly

This thread is a kick in the pants I need.

hyofighter
29-11-2013, 10:06 AM
im with ben on this , finances , job uncertainty , and a quiet mining scene has people hanging on to there money here in WA , gumtree is full of toys , and people are reluctent to spend with all the redundencys on the go here at the moment . With this also the WASF scene has suffered and flatlined a bit at the moment with the older members moving on and doing new things in new lives and not much happening in new blood it might be the time to crank things up again which is something id like to do in the early parts of next year

DCRacing
01-12-2013, 09:23 AM
I think the key thing mentioned is Modifying. I think people have backed off modifying their bikes in this way due to the ease of buying a "factory fighter".
Plenty of people are still modifying their bikes in a different way to the Fighter look.

blackvisor
02-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Another reason for the current decline of the streetfighter is that it's not the current trendy style of custom bike. At the moment it's all cafe racers, Brat style bikes and bobbers. I reckon the reason for this is the younger generation of bikers doesn't seek inspiration from older bikers cos most of us are as old as their parents, and who wants to to take your parent's advice? Plus the young generation doesn't read printed media or go to bike shows, they get it all form online, so unsurprisingly they get inspiration from the country which adopts new technology fastsest, ie Japan. The current cafe racers and Brat style bikes are Japanese influenced and all over the internet, this is what the new generation of bike builders sees and therefore decides to build them. If you want to see more streetfighters built, then get more streetfighers onto the websites frequented by the younger generation. Personally, I reckon the current cafe racer/bobber/Brat style using older technology donor bikes will soon fade when the builders realise how unreliable older technology worn out high mileage bikes can be. When they realise a modern low mileage donor bike give smore riding time and less fixing time they'll use them as a base for a custom project. With a modern donor bike they'll go modern styling, and be building streetfighters. They ,ight be restricted by insurance and licensing to smaller capacity bikes, so expect to see 400cc streetfighters and modern styled custom bikes. I know a 400cc streetfighter is an oxymoron, but slow 250cc cafe racer was also an oxymoron as recently as a decade ago and look at what's being built now.

Jockney Rebel
02-12-2013, 09:52 PM
i tend to agree with you with one addition
i think this will lead to a whole new form of custom building across the whole spectrum of modified bikes ...as the younger gen riders approach thier late twenties and early thirties i dont think the scenes dead just waiting for a reboot which i cant wait to happen..... i think itll be exciting ...as long as the powers at be dont make it illegal to modify anything

Gitzy
03-12-2013, 05:25 AM
All the young guys that come through my work or people I just know through other people all under 20 lets say a handful of guys, think that modifying bikes is utterly ridiculous they see my R1 and laugh, they've gone out and bought a sub 10k 6XXcc whatever bolted a pipe on and they don't shut the fuck up about how "custom" it is now.

Not one of them knows how to change their oil or adjust the chain or get this CHECK THE FUCKING TYRE PRESSURE "thats the bike shops problem not mine" and no matter how much I try to teach or give advice it falls on deaf ears. They're more than happy to pay twice as much for an oil change so they don't have to get their hands dirty.

Why would they modify anything with the current 'fully sick' 30hp learner flock out there to choose from. I know fucktards who think that the 650 Hyosung they own has more power than an R6 because it has 50cc more. What's horsepower they say?? It doe's not compute that it has half the power in their peanut brain?? or they will base things on value, how could a 10 yo R1 for 5k possibly be a better option than a 2013 CBR250?? thats just stupid Gitzy...

The younger generation sucks balls. I think the scene WILL fade out regardless of financial reason etc and the only people to continue to modify will be our children if they show a tiny shred of interest in what we have done.

I'm sure me basing that on 5 guys is not statistacally accurate in any way but think of the learners they churn out these days and how many show an interest online here or in your area. You only have to type Streetfighters into google and we are the first link to pop up. Lets face it, it's not like every single person under 20 isn't online 24/7.

Gix11
03-12-2013, 01:58 PM
True mate, but also keep in mind, when I was around 22 all the "Bike" guys had moved on to cars after crashing, losing mates to crashes or getting girlfriends. It's the ones that start later who buy bikes for the love of it, rather than how small their cock is that are the real scene creators. Everything is a fad to a teenager.

wackyrider
03-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Everything is a fad to a teenager.

The amount of people that I have heard saying, 'Oh I used to ride but the girlfriend said it was either her or the bike, so I sold the bike'

That shows that there's no passion in them, just a passing fad as Si said. For me personally if a woman had to say that it's easy, I've been riding for 14 years, I've known you for how long??? Easy choice.

Cruisecontrol
03-12-2013, 07:29 PM
There will always be a certain percentage of riders that want to modify bikes but it will never become the majority.
You like it or you don't. 90% of the riders I know (and there are a lot in the postie world) couldn't care less about modifying their bikes beyond a sticker kit or a set of levers. That is fine by me because it makes what we do all the more valuable.
I remember pulling the plastic off my first bike (RZ500) and riding around feeling pretty cool. I was only a kid, the bike felt like shit, but I was doing something different and that felt good.
I am glad the overwhelming majority just don't get it.

scotty
03-12-2013, 07:37 PM
How many car drivers like to mod their cars? I'd say we still have a great percentage, I see lots of fighters around, wouldn't know if they are here or not but there's a shit load more riders out the moderfying bikes

Azrael
05-12-2013, 04:30 PM
I know I haven't posted much in the way of progress on here as far as streetfighters are concerned but ive been working on a lot of custom shit from Harleys to the brat/bobbers and cafes and maybe its just here in the west but despite the imminent threat of unlawful imprisonment with a side of arse rape by bored traffic cops people are getting more and more into modifying their rides.

Ive spent the past 3 years working on other peoples shit, tattooing and saving money to pay for all the shit I need to build something for myself. I now have all the machining done to start my build. I have the application to build an ICV and Steve as my engineer. I don't know if any of this will work or help but im building something mental and there isn't a civil servant in the observable universe that's going to stop me from riding the fucker.

If your worried about cops, stickers and other associated roadside annoyances, take up jogging..

To me the act of streetfightering your bike is as much about swinging spanners and shed time as it is looking different or trends.
Cutting, welding, hitting stuff with hammers is where its at, not to mention drinking glorious beer till you speak foreign languages like an expert and give all your tools French girls names (or so ive heard)..

So yeah, nah, not over. not while we have sheds, tools, beer and a french lexicon..

MDM
06-12-2013, 03:12 AM
If I had a quid for every time I heard someone say that "the streetfighter scene is dead..." I'd have... oooh... about enough to buy a pint and a half.
It ain't dead, far from it - just gone underground a bit - there's loads of people doing shed buids, more now than at any point in the last ten years I reckon, and okay, maybe that does include the trendy cafe racers and bobbers, but that's of no consequence, what matters is that people are out there and modifying! And regulations will not harm us - just look at what the Germans and Swedes build, they've got the harshest regs on the planet.
Ben, Si and Azrael make some very valid points, although I dunno about the French lexicon...

Hagarr
06-12-2013, 09:48 AM
I know I haven't posted much in the way of progress on here as far as streetfighters are concerned but ive been working on a lot of custom shit from Harleys to the brat/bobbers and cafes and maybe its just here in the west but despite the imminent threat of unlawful imprisonment with a side of arse rape by bored traffic cops people are getting more and more into modifying their rides.

Ive spent the past 3 years working on other peoples shit, tattooing and saving money to pay for all the shit I need to build something for myself. I now have all the machining done to start my build. I have the application to build an ICV and Steve as my engineer. I don't know if any of this will work or help but im building something mental and there isn't a civil servant in the observable universe that's going to stop me from riding the fucker.

If your worried about cops, stickers and other associated roadside annoyances, take up jogging..

To me the act of streetfightering your bike is as much about swinging spanners and shed time as it is looking different or trends.
Cutting, welding, hitting stuff with hammers is where its at, not to mention drinking glorious beer till you speak foreign languages like an expert and give all your tools French girls names (or so ive heard)..

So yeah, nah, not over. not while we have sheds, tools, beer and a french lexicon..

Where's the like button when you need one?

orazzal
06-12-2013, 05:06 PM
hey all

i know i dont have any weight in this forum but heres my $0.02

customizing motorcycles beyond buying an exhaust, frame sliders and a bubble screen seems to be as far as people want to take their shiny wheeled beasts these days, yellow stickers are on the rise, just the other day in perth a copper went thru a car park and sickered every motorcyle he could that had minor mods eg fender eliminators

not as many people want to spend the time and money just to have their machine considered defective

as for cafe racers theyll be gone soon and i hope the take hipsters with them

Azrael
06-12-2013, 06:06 PM
hey all

i know i dont have any weight in this forum but heres my $0.02

customizing motorcycles beyond buying an exhaust, frame sliders and a bubble screen seems to be as far as people want to take their shiny wheeled beasts these days, yellow stickers are on the rise, just the other day in perth a copper went thru a car park and sickered every motorcyle he could that had minor mods eg fender eliminators

not as many people want to spend the time and money just to have their machine considered defective

as for cafe racers theyll be gone soon and i hope the take hipsters with them

Back to PSB with you then...

orazzal
06-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Back to PSB with you then...

dont get me wrong i loved customizing my bike and making it my own i bought it in 05, i love it more now than ever and i hope to see fighters continue on getting more outrageous as we go

now im off c u there

Hagarr
06-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Can't believe all this pussy whipped talk, It has been my life long ethos to do whatever was considered right, Wrong!

Speed Limits pppfffttt fuck off.

ADR's pppffftt fuck off drill it bigger and make it heaps louder, extend and generally fuck with it (in most cases badly)!

Skills have dropped, meh beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I respect people who just fit bling but never been my thing ( four kids and a mortgage has put paid to that!)

Stop thinking about what others think or care just fucken DO iT!

Fight_fan
08-12-2013, 08:22 AM
I have heaps of heaps cool ideas, just not enough money & time to carry them out! I think a lot of people are in the same boat! Its a shame that things have quietened dwn a bit, but I'm sure there is still a lot of good shit thats gonna be rolling out of peoples sheds! & who cares if there is a few less people modifying bikes, it means less dickheads if u ask me...