PDA

View Full Version : converting to MX Bars

gtrman
19-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Hi there,
I barely use this site but i was just after some advice. i do check out the classified section quite a lot. Anyway, I have an 08 GSXR 600 that has had a couple of low speed drops, so I am thinking of stripping the fairings off and going the streetfighter route. what would be the easiest way to change the bars? anyone know of any links to shops that are easy to deal with? do i just drill the triple clamp and get risers or get a whole new clamp with risers built in? also will i need longer cables?
Any response or feedback is appreciated guys, am new to this but have always loved the streetfighter look. I hope my questions made some sense
Thanks

wackyrider
19-11-2013, 07:49 AM
You could get a new top triple, but most people (me included) just drill the top clamp and fit a set of risers.

The type of bars you choose will also determine what needs to be lengthened. As a general rule the throttle cables usually tend to be long enough but I have always changed to braided brake lines and extended them at the same time. Clutch is hit or moss, depending on the bars as well as the bike model.

Never work on a K8 GSXR 600 so can't tell you about that.

damo1
19-11-2013, 08:42 AM
fat bar risers 45$, tag fat bars 145$ drilled top triple job done!

About an hr in the garage.

gtrman
24-11-2013, 08:23 PM
is there any tips to drilling the top clamp? it all sounds easy but i am sure i would fuck it up somehow

damo1
25-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Remove the top triple

bolt the risers to the bars - with out the main mounting bold in them.

Then line them up so they are exactly the same on the top triple and trace around them with a pencil.

Remove the riser from the bars

Place riser back on triple in the before traced lines and them mark through the centre mounting hole with same previous pencil.

remove the riser and drill small 1/8 hole

turn triple over and have a look where the hole comes out and work out if its going to foul on anything

If not drill away till appropriate hole size is achieved

If the hole look to be in the wrong spot repeat until you have them right.

Because you only drilled the 1/8 hole first it should be covered by the riser still.

hope this helps.

cheers damo

gtrman
26-11-2013, 08:42 PM
thanks Damo! I am looking for a used triple to have a go on just in case i fuck it up or want to go back to standard. I have seen some cheap ones from the 06-07 model but am not positive if its the same size