PDA

View Full Version : ZX9R-Project begins. Not another Ram air mod question!

Rapha
10-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Hey all,
I am glad I have finally found my calling. To become fighter obsessed!
I have got to say, that after reading countless posts, everyone here sure is a bunch of helpful chaps.
I am about to fighter my 98 zx9r and as it is going to be a daily ride, I am concerned about the rain entering the ram air scoops once I have removed the OEM stuff. Has anybody out there had problems in the wet?
I have a stock exhaust system and was also wondering if I should do the KLEEN air mod as well. I heard on another site that removing this on a stock system could fowl up the catalytic converter.
Thanks heaps,
Rapha

xa-mont
10-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Hey Rapha, welcome mate. Where abouts do you live?

i've ridden my ape in the pouring rain and never had any issues with open scoops.

TurboKat
10-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Unless you're doing 200+ in torrential rain, you won't have a problem getting water in the carbs - just make sure your airbox drain tube is clear because you will get a trickle in there.
Your ZX9 doesn't have a catalytic convertor so no worries there.
You're probly aware, but the bike won't run over 1500 RPM under load if you remove the Ram Air scoops without running the carb's float bowl vent tubes into the airbox.
Good choice of bike, those engines are so strong they'll stop a bullet, this is how tough they are - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_2I6KoV42Gc

Gix11
11-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Nah, that wasn't TK doing that to his bike, not a chance, he has much more respect for bikes. That's just some random European geezer killing a bike for no apparent reason. He's just getting the point across of how tough those motors are.

By the way, welcome aboard mate.

Rapha
12-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks heaps for info,
Just got the go ahead from the boss. I can get another bike. Now logic would say to get a reliable commuter and slowly work on the zx, but I am only here once, so maybe a second zx and swap the plates between the two. Only one rego required then...

Aido
12-11-2013, 06:27 PM
TK is almost right as usual. Apparently he is addicted to kawasakis on that other forum from which you probably gleened info on the KLEEN mod. Given that the engine idles around 1300 - 1500 you can get off the line but wont get much past 3500rpm in first without the balance pipes properly sorted.
If you are still going to run scoops and pressurise the airbox then some sort of plenum system to catch and eradicate water is a good idea, especially since the bike is a daily. No doubt your aware of the large plenums already fitted as standard, I have seen them full of water on a 5k service if the drain blocks.
TK is getting old and flatulent. He has forgotten that it is not only possible but the best start to any working day to crack the throttle on the 9 during a morning commute.

Aido
12-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Oh and the bench mark for 9 fighters is of course JUDGE.
I dropped trousers and masturbated wildly when I first saw JUDGE on the concourse of the Melbourne Exibition Centre in 2003 (?)
Lets see how you go. Pictures please.....I get aroused by ZX9 Kawasakis.

Rapha
16-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Ok, three days in the make shift shed and i have a fighter. With very limited tools, i found the cable tie to be my friend.
I still have a lot of work to finish her,but when i get back to work and get hold of a bench and vice ,I can mock up some brackets, remove the dyna bolts holding the fat bar clamps down etc. I only had a shitty drill with a
small chuck, so could not get a ten mill drill in. Had to work around that…(cable ties and milling with smaller drill).

Reading back on the airbox mods other chaps have done, I just don't know why anyone would drill a filter when all you had to do was drill a hole in the front of the airbox lid and place the carb vent tube there.Easy and neat.5043

Have to say I love the riding position.My shaggers back is thanking me and I have not had such a grin on my dial with my clothes on in awhile.
50325031Original Bike.

Hope you like my work so far.

Aido
18-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Nice. Still resembles a 9.
FFS throw that standard exhaust in the bin. Fat and horrible....even if it is TITANIUM.
Watch that reservoir bracket as vibration can cause it to fracture when your furthest from home and once again zip ties come in handy. Reason why factory brackets have a pressed rib.
I love Kawasaki but why the fuck did they choose green? Horrid color, particularly on the 9's and 6's of that time frame.

Rapha
18-11-2013, 10:03 PM
I absolutely love that green . That's why I bought it. I don't like the modern green on today's bikes.

TurboKat
19-11-2013, 08:53 AM
I love Kawasaki but why the fuck did they choose green? Horrid color.
Either you have trouble seeing colours proply or your taste buds are in your arse... Fuck Red, Lime Green is the colour of FAST !!
Now, Yellow... that's the colour of G.H.E.Y.

Rapha
22-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Ok,
Advice on exhaust.
Screamin demon Mussari or Jre?
Did a quick search on Ebay. Like to keep purchases local if I can
I appreciate your help.

yuma bizl
22-11-2013, 05:55 PM
try this n make it fit

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/warwick-farm/accessories/suzuki-gsxr-1000-yoshi-pipe/1031478500

Aido
22-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Googled but cant find one....Full Ti Akrapovic system.
Most fully awesome, sick as fuck system ever for the 9. I was blessed that previous owner spent $2200 and imported it direct from Akra. I'll put some pics up later. No Idea what it weighs but pumps out power and weighs less than a fairies breath.

Yella
22-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Either you have trouble seeing colours proply or your taste buds are in your arse... Fuck Red, Lime Green is the colour of FAST !!
Now, Yellow... that's the colour of G.H.E.Y.

Oi

Rapha
02-12-2013, 04:59 PM
And I dropped it. Side stand was not fully engaged. Smashed lhs mirror,clutch lever and cracked the lhs engine cover. NICE!!
And landed it on a brand new ford Ranger!!!! NICE one FUCKTARD!!!!
P.S- Ordered a Sreaming Demon DDL exhaust. Its what the budget allows. Wish list was a full Akrapovic...

Rapha
08-12-2013, 01:45 PM