PDA

View Full Version : Acetone a high preformance fuel additive.

damo1
05-11-2013, 08:07 AM
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Article:Truth_About_Acetone_and_Ethanol

interesting read

GammaBoy
05-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Claiming an improvement from 22mpg to 45mpg by adding less than 1% acetone? Yeah, right, I'll believe that when me shit turns purple and smells like sherbert.

Toluene was always the big one for turbo motors - and fuel "independent servos" in the late 90's

Redmohawk
05-11-2013, 08:30 PM
One little FACT you might like to keep in mind is even small amounts of acetone long term in your fuel system will attack alot of the commonly used plastics and rubbers in your fuel system, also softens some paints and alot of glues. So say goodbye to your seals hoses O rings etc. A little flush isnt going to be an issue but shoving it in long term will make a big mess.

I just read the initial artical , they are claiming that increasing the O2 level tricking the comp into increasing injector pulses is increasing MPG ? What am I missing here if you increase injector pulses and enritchen the fuel mix your using more fuel per mile not less.

GammaBoy
06-11-2013, 07:48 AM
I just read the initial artical , they are claiming that increasing the O2 level tricking the comp into increasing injector pulses is increasing MPG ? What am I missing here if you increase injector pulses and enritchen the fuel mix your using more fuel per mile not less.
But it makes 25% more power

guys a crackpot, nothing makes sense.

Redmohawk
06-11-2013, 09:45 AM
But it makes 25% more power

guys a crackpot, nothing makes sense.

Yep 100% crack, any fuel with increased oxy will help within reason on power stakes Ethanol is the best option for bikes with the least negitive issues . Mostly much higher fuel consumption E85 is fun stuff , and can be found at some pumps now. But at almost twice the consumption rate you wont get far before you need to refill .

The question was ment to be retorical

oldskool
07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Don't put Ethanol in a carby motorcycle period!

Jockney Rebel
07-11-2013, 09:06 PM
^^ what he said it ate my transits carb internals

latheboy
08-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Don't put Ethanol in a carby motorcycle period!

Not true, it's just a lot of work and you need to replace all the rubber parts in the fuel system to deal with it.

Down the road a tuner swapped from 98 oct to e85 (fancy race fuel) on a 186 red motor in a HR.
Turbo and side draft weber (draw through), jets went up about 40%.
60kw more power on less boost, and the compresser was iceing up.

One of the biggest problems with Ethanol fuels is they are NEVER consistent!
In winter the fuel will have more Petrol in the mix.
Summer it has less.

You will need to tune it every couple of months.

Redmohawk
08-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Not true, it's just a lot of work and you need to replace all the rubber parts in the fuel system to deal with it.

Down the road a tuner swapped from 98 oct to e85 (fancy race fuel) on a 186 red motor in a HR.
Turbo and side draft weber (draw through), jets went up about 40%.
60kw more power on less boost, and the compresser was iceing up.

One of the biggest problems with Ethanol fuels is they are NEVER consistent!
In winter the fuel will have more Petrol in the mix.
Summer it has less.

You will need to tune it every couple of months.

Or buy it from a race fuel suppyer (consistant mix) and not much different in price from pump prices

latheboy
08-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Yes, although you can only ride within range of the supplier or the place where you store the fuel.

I had thought about swapping to the race fuel on the shitfighter but you are stuffed if you need fuel out on a ride.

Redmohawk
08-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah having a tralor on the back for enough fuel to do my fav round trip to the hills and back would suck. Lucky 1/8 mile and back isn't so far that I need a huge tank

Aido
13-11-2013, 07:57 PM
IPA -Isopropyl Alcohol used to be common as an additive for endurance races. Occasional dash in the tank will absorb residual water in the tank and float bowls.....for those that have float bowls these days.
Accetone? No way.