PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Setup

red
01-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm wondering if someone can help with a little advice on suspension setup? I'm a little confused with sag, esp at the rear. With the front I try to adjust preload somewhere between skipping over the shit Qld roads (scary) and diving under brakes too much.

At the rear, I'm not so sure. Adjusting the preload so I don't get thrown outa the seat over the bumps seems to make the shock way too soft. I suppose the question is should I just set up sag as a measurement of shock travel, and try to adjust the damping to compensate?

Or am I on the right track with easing off the preload to make it "comfortable" and then fiddling with the adjusters?

Currently the bike feels way to soft at both ends (99 'Blade) and I am still getting bumped off the sea by the rear end. My VTR1000 doesn't do this (with much less adjustability) and I used the later method to setup (adjusting for a smooth ride on the spring - not setting up sag).

Now your confused as fuck, welcome to my world! [V][:p]:D

rod185651
01-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Red,
rember your original settings, so you can start from scratch when everything goes pear shape and you will be sweet.
cheers Rod

Bear
02-02-2008, 02:57 AM
Does the rear shock have high and low speed damping adjusters?

02-02-2008, 08:26 AM
http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Settingupyourbike/tabid/59/Default.aspx

your answers lie here ;)

The Goblin
03-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Start with the springs.set the static sag at 30mm both ends.put ALL the settings in the middle.You want the thing to go up fairly quik & come back a little bit slower;) Remember this[8D] IF you adjust the compression harder[8)]by one click[8)]Back the rebound off by one clik softer.tuning suspeshun is like two stroke porting(& martial arts`)[:X]dont mess with wot ya dont understand;)

red
07-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Ahh Davo, thanks.

I tried that and ran into a little problem. I couldn't get the front forks to the correct ride height. Got a certain amount and then the preload adjuster just didnt seem to change the height anymore.

And how do you overcome stiction in the forks when trying to measure sag?

I also set the comp/reb adjusters back to standard. Not too good. Needs less rebound damping I think.