PDA

View Full Version : Door problem with 2001 Camry

Mr Hyosung
15-10-2013, 08:58 AM
When I get out of the car and press the button on the key fob the front passenger door mech actuates but not enough to lock the door and then the horn beeps twice. Any ideas? Yes I know this is a bike site but some of us have to have cars too.

wackyrider
15-10-2013, 10:03 AM
The horn beeping usually means that one of the doors hasn't been shut properly.

As for the door lock might just need setting.

damo1
15-10-2013, 01:02 PM
do you 1/2 an idea and can pull the door trim your self??

If so it sounds like you just need to put a bend in the rod to shorten the distance the actuator needs to push/pull the lock mechanism.

The one problem you may have is the rods to the handle are not adjusted correctly and it wont lock because it thinks the door is open still.

it will be either a matter of adjusting the rod to the handle or the rod from the actuator.

I cant remember if the actuator is part of the actual mechanism on those old girls??

Let me know how you go, lock the door lock with a screw diver blade with the door open then you can look into the door with it open and see whats going on.

if you can give me a better description of what your seeing happen I may have another idea.

hope this helps cheers damo

Mr Hyosung
16-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Removing the door card isn't a problem. If you lock the car when getting out after a drive it usually works fine, but then if you open the car again and then relock it, it usually doesn't lock properly. Sometimes it will not lock after the first go. I have replaced the door mech with another from the wreckers and it is doing the same thing. The car has done 250,000k's and I have owned it since 80,000k's. It has been a problem for the past year and now it is starting to be a pain in the arse. The actuator is a part of the mech. It looks like the actuator isn't getting full power and therefore not moving far enough. I have disconnected the rods to the handle and it still looks like it doesn't travel far enough to push the lock across. Any help gratefully received

damo1
16-10-2013, 10:57 AM
mate try and hot wire it!

get a battery with some wire and connect it direct to the lock and see if it works that way.

it should go either way if you reverse the wires on the lock - one open the other lock.

if that doesn't work id say the 2nd hand lock you got is fucked as well.

let me know how you go.

oldskool
16-10-2013, 05:35 PM
The retaining screw that hold the actuating arm has come loose so its not throwing far enough, you will need to pull it apart and adjust it.

I must have missed the beeping horn business?

Mr Hyosung
17-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the help fellas. I'm going riding for 3 days so I'll have a go at it when I get back.

Mr Hyosung
07-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Sorry for the delay. It was the actuator. After testing it like you said it would work the first time ok then not throw far enough the next time. The actuator is a separate part from the mech. $230 was the quote from our local Toyota shop. $32 +$25 shipping from the states. It's in and working like a champion. Thanks for the help.