PDA

View Full Version : clutch spring retemper

Jay_G
30-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Went for my first ride on my project bike today,

clutch slips alot, running cheapo mineral car oil in it for the first little bit to clean out all the shit, being cheap shit i wouldnt think there would be to many friction modifiers in it. slip seemed to reduce a little after a a couple of k's.

plates were out of the bike for quite a while, didnt thik to rough up the steels when they were out.

Was having a chat to a bloke at work and rekons you can heat the springs up, quench them and they will be good again, has anyone had a go at this?

i think i would be to worried about them being to brittle and fragmenting in the engine.

or the other option is stop being a tight arse and buy a set of heavier springs

Pommy Chopper
30-01-2008, 06:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jay_G

or the other option is stop being a tight arse and buy a set of heavier springs

I'd stick with this option!!!:D

chopaweeza
30-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Your Uncle Chopa is a trained Bladesmith(retired)which means I understand more about heat treating than normally people really need to know. Unless you have a precise understanding of the processes involved don't go attempting home heat treatment on springs. I've done it on a GPZ Sand Dragger but I did my research and I have extensive knowledge of heat treating metals . If you get it wrong there are several things that can happen : The most common is that they springs will not all be the same hardness & therefore will have different strengths. This will cause uneven clutch release and will kill your clutch. The second most common thing is that you don't temper the springs back to the right hardness . Too soft and the clutch will be useless . Too hard and the springs will either not recoil or will shatter . If a spring shatters the shrapnel will kill your motor . There are other things that can also happen and they are all bad so get new springs/plates is my recommendation.

Deano
30-01-2008, 08:07 PM
did you soak your fire plates for 24 hrs before install?

Jay_G
30-01-2008, 10:02 PM
well......no, maybe with a bit more heat and spinning around in some nice oil they might come good.

will have a better look and a play with the adjustments tomorrow, was all a sort of a heat of the moment thing with all the excitement. :D

oldskool
02-02-2008, 09:53 PM
If you used non motorcycle oil mineral or other you will need new clutch plates!

Jay_G
05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Ok so i am going to get some new springs and sandblast the steels and have a go at cleaning the friction plates, see if i can get away with it as they have plenty of meat on them.

What are the brands of upgraded springs we can get in Aus?
I know of Barnett and ebc but a 10% increase in strength for the EBC and 10-15% for the barnett sounds a bit weak.

they are going into basicly a gpz 750 motor that is warmed up a bit.