PDA

View Full Version : Contracting on your ABN.

Aido
25-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Thought I'd ask you ladies....cause even if you'se don't know someone always comes up with a plausible answer.
Have run my own business for nearly 3 years cutting grass and shit was real good in the suburbs but since moving to rural Vic it has sucked arse. I understand how subcontracting works....Another bloke has too much work and gets me in to assist, I use my own gear, am responsible for my work, time, insurance etc and he pays me on the agreed rate.
However since March I have working subcontract to a local farm as well as continuing to run my own business doing what I can when I can. I was originally contracted for the duration of harvest only to drive a bin tractor. This was a straight up contract with a set hourly rate and a duration but since then I have been doing everything under the sun for them. I use their equipment and work to their hours. I fall into the category of being an employee. This has been a five day a week affair on the farm and working my own jobs after hours and weekends with today being 47 days straight without a day off.
Got offered full time on the farm which is good and bad. Good because its stable employment. Bad because I lose my freedom of self employment ( even though I'm over committed at the moment and have no freedom) I also lose the killer contract rate and revert to a shitty wage, take on responsibility I don't want and have to watch the clock like every other wage slave.
So how do I continue to contract as a farm hand on a contract rate without raising too much suspicion from the ATO for both myself and my "employer"?

StuNVA
25-09-2013, 10:08 PM
You can't gain, I think it's 50%, or more from anyone entity or the ATO class it as being employed by them. You better talk to an accountant. Sounds like you just need to negotiate a package that's better than award if you want to keep working there.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
25-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Some shifty employers have "shelf companies" so they can hold onto better subbies. Happened with me where I worked for the same bloke but invoiced a different "company" every other week.

Snaffler
25-09-2013, 10:53 PM
if you can work for the company under normal paid wages id do that so you get holidays and sick days both with pay and you let them do your tax out of your wage and then in your own time cut lawns etc under your own ABN and try do as many cash jobs as you can and run your business at a loss to keep your tax down.

Aido
26-09-2013, 07:46 PM
if you can work for the company under normal paid wages id do that so you get holidays and sick days both with pay and you let them do your tax out of your wage and then in your own time cut lawns etc under your own ABN and try do as many cash jobs as you can and run your business at a loss to keep your tax down.
$16.50 ph with holidays, 12% super, sick leave (award) Vs $35 ph upfront. 50 hr weeks on the farm plus working my own jobs I'm $2200+ in the pocket at the moment with enough deductions to give the tax man nothing. I'm all legit and dont slide anything through on "cash".
Need to find a way to continue "contracting" that is fair to both myself and the farm owner. We are both happy with the current agreement but it cant continue for much longer without repercussions.
Thanks for some sensible replies. I'm glad I didn't have to threaten to blow my brains out to get some attention and nor did I have to message Si to remove my login.
Anyhow this is ASF so resume normal programing.
Get fucked.

TurboKat
27-09-2013, 09:17 AM
So Cuntox, what model of KAWASAKI have you bought with all this fat cash you've been making?
& try to make the bewbs of legal age nextime, I just had the Feds knock on my door because I looked at that pic ^

Aido
27-09-2013, 09:28 PM
would like to say i have collected the whole set but the other half has been off work for 12 months due to health and it has been a hell period with shitloads of stress. Have myself a full pharmacy on top of the fridge, drugs to keep me happy and motivated during the day and drugs to shut me down at night. Weekly visits to the shrink just to spice things up also...Would be nice to at least get a postcard from from my soliciter once in a while from wherever the cunt spends my money instead of letters of demand. Remember 2 years ago when I was a Ginger Ninja? More grey than my old man in just over 18 months. Not good times.