PDA

View Full Version : Dodgiest fixes

Cruisecontrol
26-08-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one to modify something to make their bike work after a few aesthetic changes...

My current ride (2004 GSX-R1000) has a brass garden hose fitting modified to extend the TL throttle cable enough to make it useable on the Gixxer.
The mod is in no way permanent but good enough til I get a cable to suit.

Zip ties and rape tape are a given, but I would be interested to see some of the creative mods that others use to get their bikes on the road for the short term at least.

I know there a dodgier fuckers than me, so fess up!

Redmohawk
26-08-2013, 11:20 PM
lol all of betty

latheboy
27-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Not on the bike, but the fuel pump on my EH failed one day 4 hours from home.

I hooked up the window washer bottle to the carby and drove home pushing the button and refilling it a lot.

damo1
27-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Haha love this thread already.

I have a little spacer made out of a piece of alloy tube to lengthen the throttle cable also.

And another trick I learnt years ago was for leaking fork seals.

Lift the dust caps off and cut a length of cloth and wrap it around your fork leg then put the dust cap back in
Works a tret for rego time stops the excess fluid leaking out.

Fuck I may learn something in this thread!

Jed
27-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Does putting a Kawasaki clutch plate into a GSXR Count?

Hillsy
27-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Does putting a Kawasaki clutch plate into a GSXR Count?

No because that makes the GSXR more awesomer......

I once welded a Gearsack rack directly to the sub frame on an old dunger of mine.......seemed like a good idea at the time because I couldn't find any suitable bolts in the shed.

Iceman
27-08-2013, 10:29 AM
I put a some knead-it on a hole in the fuel rail on the GS for the Dubbo run. It worked a treat !

hooligan
27-08-2013, 10:29 AM
No because that makes the GSXR more awesomer......

I once welded a Gearsack rack directly to the sub frame on an old dunger of mine.......seemed like a good idea at the time because I couldn't find any suitable bolts in the shed.

I bolted the mounting plate for my top box straight onto the pillion seat base on a gsxr 600 srad I used to commute on.

ozzy1100
27-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Now the story's are comeing out lol
The washer bottle of fuel is winning so far for the cliffhanger :-)

safighter
27-08-2013, 11:17 AM
once had the alternator go on the car so put a truck battery on the front passengers seat and jump leads out the window and into the bonnet to other battery to get me home, I put the seatbelt around the battery to make it safe.

damo1
27-08-2013, 11:21 AM

Hows this for dodgy!!

Jed
27-08-2013, 11:27 AM
once had the alternator go on the car so put a truck battery on the front passengers seat and jump leads out the window and into the bonnet to other battery to get me home, I put the seatbelt around the battery to make it safe.

That's gold.

I was out on a trail bike years ago in the middle of nowhere and had the front and rear tyre go flat. being young and stupid at the time had nothing to fix it. Found an old shearing shed in the middle of a paddock and stuffed both tyres with wool. got me home.

Jed
27-08-2013, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=Hillsy;397523]No because that makes the GSXR more awesomer......

It has made the clutch more awesomer.....

ALBI
27-08-2013, 01:36 PM
ok being an ex NRMA patrolman in dural i had to do my fair share of doggy shit
1- ford lazer cuts out , check for spark at plugs , none , check at coil all good , check rotor button has track marks , cleaned out rotor button and used bright red nail polish "yes i had it in tool box for this reason " applyed to button and dried with 12 volt hair dryer, refit and enamel nail pollish insulates .

2- vw dak dak hubbie and wife pull over its overheated and alt light on i pull up and its snaped it belt , i didnt have one but i had a few stockings so i cut it up and it failed ??WTF ? the wife asked wat brand they i said dunna wifes old ones , her reply was hold this to hubby , she hitched her dress and pulled her knickers off then removed her black stockings put her knickers back on and handed me the stockings , razz a matazz ones she said i cut them up "hmm tempted to sniff ""
worked a dream .

3- old fj with a grey motor had been vandilised and was at colo river whist old boy was swimming some clowns removed the HT leads i got there and didnt have any spare thern between the two of us we cut up the boundery fence and used his vaccum line to insulate and pressed into cap and it got him home.

4- v6 camry had to jump start his plip remote !! yup alarm remote , they use a 12 volt battery and i didnt have a spare , pulled appart and used jumper leads to power up remote and turn alarm off !!

ALBI
27-08-2013, 05:07 PM
not a doggy fix but a good one none the less.

called out to a vs dunnydore calais , lady all dressed up ready to go out and car wont open ??
hmm did you use the key in door ?? yes but it wont start ??

ok so i lock and unlock with remote and it starts !! she is happy and i turn off and restart all good .
she takes keys out and goes inside to lock up .

i depart 10 mins later called back out same issue ??
i lock and unlock and start engine , member is puzzled and so am i .
i leave and called back a third time and she is pissed at me for not fixing concern !!

i do the same and it starts , but this time i hand keys over and asked her to start and it dont start ??

hmmmm i tell her to lock and unlock and try to start and it just dont start ?? i say to her stay seated and ill start ther car , i reach in and i rub against her arm and get a shock for her ??

remember rubbing ur feet at school and zapping other kids hehehehe well same here , i ask if she has carpet in house , no ive got floor boards??

so i tell her the only way is like wat we did at school and that nylons etc and that some material etc can cause static and scramble the rolling code in the vr/vs key FOB !!

she went bright red and giggled "mind you she is at least 50 plus a bit rough but we all know we'd do her "
seems her hubby works on oil rigs and has been overseas for 5 months and she is meeting him at airport, and is wearing a nylon teady he gave her for xmas , hmmm i think well go take it off and put cotton on etc , off she goes giggling like a school girl, comes out weraing just jeans and shirt , i gave her the key she unlocked and it started .
she then said well i never !!

Cruisecontrol
27-08-2013, 07:22 PM

Hows this for dodgy!!

Holy shit, that is incredible.
It would take longer to get that to work than it would to buy the correct part!

Cruisecontrol
27-08-2013, 07:30 PM
One I just remembered:

I had an 82 Katana that had a broken speedo needle. I replaced it with a Chuppa Chup stick. Worked for years.

stiffsimon
27-08-2013, 07:32 PM
OK I'm waiting to see if Ben will show his hand :D

Hillsy
27-08-2013, 07:40 PM
One I just remembered:

I had an 82 Katana that had a broken speedo needle. I replaced it with a Chuppa Chup stick. Worked for years.

Oh yeah - forgot about those ones. I use toothpicks and a dab of supaglue gel. Sometimes if I'm in a really detailed mood I paint them red.

Redmohawk
27-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Does jumping a stock as a rock 22r powered 2wd highlux over a 4 foot ditch by getting a run up and doing 80 km/h over a little speed hump just before it count as dodgy ? No then maybe the resultant fix (of the LPG line) that got snagged on the stick on impact that poked up through the tub bed and crushed the line with a length of yellow BBQ gas line hose (Nitto electrical tape for hose clamps) so we could drive the 50 km home does ? After all the highlux was ment to be unbrakeable and there was no way a fucking DR650 was going to beat me home down that 4wd goat track .

ALBI
27-08-2013, 08:52 PM

Hows this for dodgy!!
why would you ??

BANDITROD
30-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I once tech screwed a thermostat housing on my eb falcon

Weaselman
31-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Drove 1000km's with a throttle linkage made from vice grips and zip ties.

Crashed my KR1 in Waterfall natio and rode home after securing the fairings back on with the drawstring from my pants.
Then was to poor to replace the fairings so covered it in so much gaffa it was almost like having an all over 2nd fairing.

Jockney Rebel
31-08-2013, 07:09 PM
held the sparkplug in my FS1E with 3 big hose clips joined together when it stripped its thread to get home

Jockney Rebel
31-08-2013, 07:13 PM
..oh and i once put 8 emergency lighting batteries in a top box on my old RD 350 to get to and from work cos the reg rec failed and i was too poor to afford another just charged em up overnight for the next days run
they weighed a ton and eventually broke the rack

MattyDucati
02-09-2013, 03:27 AM
I'm sure I'm not the only one to modify something to make their bike work after a few aesthetic changes...

My current ride (2004 GSX-R1000) has a brass garden hose fitting modified to extend the TL throttle cable enough to make it useable on the Gixxer.
The mod is in no way permanent but good enough til I get a cable to suit.

Zip ties and rape tape are a given, but I would be interested to see some of the creative mods that others use to get their bikes on the road for the short term at least.

I know there a dodgier fuckers than me, so fess up!

So a birdie told me this is how people in your job solve problems :p

Cruisecontrol
02-09-2013, 08:45 AM
You've lost me there. ???

El_Hefty
02-09-2013, 11:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESwGyrCMKmg

the classic aussie bush mechanics show.... we could all learn a thing or two, although it sounds like some may have already

blackvisor
04-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Welded a bolt at right angles to a set of mole grips and used that instead of a gear lever because the splines had stripped.

Welded a front sprocket to a mainshaft, again because the splines had stripped.

Held various sections of exhaust on with wire

Used epoxy bearing filer to fill a 3mm gap in a rear wheel bearing housing

In a stolen recovered car, twisted teh wires together instead of a key switch...for 2 years