PDA

View Full Version : power commander Euro or USA base maps?

Tim
08-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Just chucked a power commander on and wondering what maps I should be trying for a base map? Usa or euro?

Came with a quick shifter but Im not happy with how it mounts, so will likely build my own.

latheboy
08-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Which ever you get it wont be 100% for your bike anyway and will need to go on a dyno for fine tuning.

BANDITROD
08-08-2013, 09:06 AM
yep what Ivan said mate

Tim
08-08-2013, 10:14 AM
I understand that and it will end up on one, but till then I plan to try a couple. found an euro that matches my basic mods and doesnt learn out the mixtures as much as the us versions. so going give that ago.

BANDITROD
08-08-2013, 10:45 AM
I fitted a pc5 to my 2010 gsxr1000 and It didn't even make the 40klm trip to the nearest dyno ..........fouled plugs and the map I used was the exact map to suit my bike and mods

Tim
08-08-2013, 10:56 AM
but was it the euro or usa version? they are very different maps..

TurboKat
08-08-2013, 11:17 AM
When I was fucking around with my PC3 on the Blackbird I went on the PC site & looked at all the maps & there were only 4 that were for a full replacement exhaust & none for my Hindle system, I don't rember if they were US or Euro spec sorry.
At the last DYNO DYNAMICS dyno day I had the luxury of being able to try all 4 & found that only 1 was close so we used that as a base map, it gave a 23 HP increase over the std. ECU but still needed a ton of adjustments to get it spot on throughout the rev range & all throttle positions, we only tuned it for WFO & it was still a bit rich so Ivan reckoned there'd be some more HP available but we didn't have the time to get it 100% - I reckon for a 100% optimised custom map (on a PC3/5) there would be around 3-4 hrs on a dyno & Ivan doesn't like me that much.

latheboy
08-08-2013, 11:32 AM
I don't like anyone at all, i just didn't want to go home that night to an emtpy house.

There was more power to be had in the mid range and the time is the killer.
I will hook up the kool kids with another night and show everyone how to run the dyno so i can sit and watch.

Downloaded maps are built for 1 bike, the "bike" the map come out of and that might have been tuned just cruising around on the road.

Dyno time is the only answer.

"but was it the euro or usa version? they are very different maps.. "
Rich is safer most of the time.

Tim
08-08-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm keen for another night(enough that I will force my partner to swap shifts!) I couldnt get the bike aswell as bring a 15 month old to the last one.

I've only got a slip on and K&N air filter currently and dont see the point of putting it on twice. so its this or just leave it with a zero'd map on it...

latheboy
08-08-2013, 01:09 PM
If you come to the next one I strongly advize you bring the standard slip on and filter.

There is no point to putting parts on your bike without a base power/AFR mark.
I can't count the amount of times I have seen bikes/cars with all the go fast parts that make LESS power than a stock one.

hooligan
08-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Is the difference in the euro/us maps the difference in the fuel used? Isn't most US fuel lower octane than here?

Tim
08-08-2013, 04:27 PM
There is no point to putting parts on your bike without a base power/AFR mark.
I can't count the amount of times I have seen bikes/cars with all the go fast parts that make LESS power than a stock one.

Other then the $200 power commander/quick shifter, I havent spent anything on mods.
It came with a carbon Yoshi. swapped bits I got for helping someone for a nicer carbon gytr and the K&N(flows ever so slightly more then stock) came off a bike I sold for what I paid for it...

So its not like Im laying down big bucks on mods and expecting a huge increase. If I'm honest I dont need any more power. being able to smooth out the throttle response is more what im interested in.

TurboKat
08-08-2013, 04:32 PM
I dont need any more power.
1000 Hail Marys & a donation to the Poor Box for your sins.

safighter
08-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Ditto that Turbokat

Dynomutt
08-08-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm keen for another night(enough that I will force my partner to swap shifts!) I couldnt get the bike aswell as bring a 15 month old to the last one.

I've only got a slip on and K&N air filter currently and dont see the point of putting it on twice. so its this or just leave it with a zero'd map on it...
The Yank maps tend to be a little leaner than Euro maps, leaving it with a zero map is the same as not having the power commander fitted. I'd get you other engine mods done disable any of the useless exhaust/air systems and then get it onto the dyno. The downloadable maps are made from an average value taken from a bunch of bikes fitted with the same exhaust/filter etc then mapped and an average taken of the mapbox values, so sometimes it may be very close for your bike other times it may be way off, the only way to do it properly is a custom dyno mapping session on your bike, which will net you the best improvements.