PDA

View Full Version : wheels?

Bob
04-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Anyone know what wheels can be put on what bike? Looking for somthing different for my gsxr 750

cheers

Dynomutt
05-08-2013, 01:46 AM
K series GSXR will fit, I'd simply fit the entire front end from a late radial K series, swap the K series wheel bearings on the rear for those of the Slingy, and then fit the slingy rear disc to the K series wheel. If you use the early K series diamond spokes you can run a greater choice of discs up front. You may need to shave the sprocket carrier a little to ensure chain run, ut other than that it's pretty simple. The later thinner K series rear wheel is narrower at the hub and therefore a little easier to fit, but you're limited on front discs to the 310mm

bladehunter
04-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Ducati forks slid into the Gixxer tripples 50mm/54mm, new axle, brembo calipers & discs with 4.5mm spacer, Sport classic front hub.
Sport Classic rear + disc + brembo caliper......simples.

K6Thou
04-09-2013, 03:54 PM
K series GSXR will fit, I'd simply fit the entire front end from a late radial K series, swap the K series wheel bearings on the rear for those of the Slingy, and then fit the slingy rear disc to the K series wheel. If you use the early K series diamond spokes you can run a greater choice of discs up front. You may need to shave the sprocket carrier a little to ensure chain run, ut other than that it's pretty simple. The later thinner K series rear wheel is narrower at the hub and therefore a little easier to fit, but you're limited on front discs to the 310mmgot any more info on fitting the k series specifically k6 wheels into a slingy ? I've got a k series wheel sitting in the swing arm of my slingy at the moment and while the chain aligned doesn't look too bad, it seems like the wheel is way off centre in the swing arm......

bladehunter
04-09-2013, 06:51 PM
I always make a few measurements first.

1. Overall bare rim widths of existing and new.Flat surface and height gauge are needed.
2. Distance from sprocket carrier, without sprocket, to outside of rim on existing and new. Pays to put a long bolt thru to tighten down the carrier to the wheel. This lets you work out the distance from the centre line of the rim to sprocket mount surface.
3. Distance from the sprocket mount surface to the bearing in the carrier.
4. Width of existing spacer.

Work out the distance from the bearing in the sprocket carrier to the wheel centre line for both. The difference is what is needed to mod the spacer by. Wheel is centre with ref to chain side of swingarm.
Do the same with dimension 2 this gives what needs to be done to sprocket carrier.

Bung the wheel in with ya new spacer, sprocket carrier and caliper bracket. Tighten the axle nut up with just the right amount of threads showing. Make sure the caliper bracket is hard up to the wheel, measure the distance from the bracket to the swingarm and thats the new spacer length.

Wheel centred and you know what to do with your sprocket carrier to get the chain run spot on.

That's the way I did the wheel swap on the Monster. Tho I had to do some surgery to the cush drive\sprocket carrier and change bearings to get it all to fit.

No old wheel to compare or different swingarm then it's stringline time.

Sorry if ya know all that shit.

K6Thou
04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Good info mate, drama seems to be the distance between the chain side of the rim and the sprocket/carrier. Seems the k series wheels are wider here than the slingy wheels, and looking at it this afternoon there doesn't seem to be any room to machine the wheel to get the carrier further 'into' the wheel......

bladehunter
04-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Not enough meat to machine the carrier itself ?

K6Thou
04-09-2013, 08:30 PM
I 'might' be able to machine the lugs that locate in the cush drive rubbers and thin the rubbers down a little. I'll be making a spacer for the chain side of the wheel tomorrow so I'll see how it looks then.....