PDA

View Full Version : Howdy....

Woodyjbh
03-08-2013, 08:26 PM
How you doing fellas...

I'm Woody, I'm from brissy and I'm about to love riding naked.

In all seriousness though, I'm just about to buy my first bike and I've got my eye on an SV650. Came across this forum and thought it would be an obvious place to hang out and learn abit from the people that have already been there and done that.

Picking up my ticket next week and should be handing over the spending in the next few weeks.

So, the two obvious questions to start off with...

* Am I going to do any better than a 06-09 'ish' Suzi 650 for a first bike? Taking into consideration that I'm 6'3" and 115kegs so a small little chook cooker isn't gonna cut it. And I'm only looking to spend between 5 and 7 grand because once I've got some experience (year or three...) I'm stepping up to something big.

* If I'm heading down the right path, what sort of mods should I start of with, without getting carried away. Is gonna be a daily driver so I can't leave it sitting in the garage for weeks on end.

Cheers (in advance) for the steer in the right direction. I've been doing the forum thing with cars etc for years and this looks like a pretty well run spot!!

Cheers, Woody

K6Thou
03-08-2013, 08:44 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/showthread.php?26572-sv-650

T (http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/showthread.php?26572-sv-650)his would be worth a look if it's still available....

Welcome.

Redmohawk
03-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Welcome , I'd learn to control what you've got first if your new to riding . Once you've been out for a while you'll work out what you want different , the rest is just bling n bullshit factor. As far as what the best 650 to buy on Lams , what fits your size mostly I'd bet.

The ER6 is as easy as unscrewing a screw and unplugging a connector to de restrict it, suzuki is just cut a wire I think.

Bob
03-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Welcome mate. Another from brissy.

Woodyjbh
03-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Welcome , I'd learn to control what you've got first if your new to riding . Once you've been out for a while you'll work out what you want different , the rest is just bling n bullshit factor. As far as what the best 650 to buy on Lams , what fits your size mostly I'd bet.

The ER6 is as easy as unscrewing a screw and unplugging a connector to de restrict it, suzuki is just cut a wire I think.

Redmo, understand exactly what your saying mate. I dont really have any performance mods in mind aside from a little exhaust work for a better note. Im more looking at mods that effect general rideability and maybe some of that bling n BS factor... For example, I want to remove all that junk at the rear and tidy it all up with some minimalistic lighting and the smallest plate holder I can get away with. Thats the sort of mod ideas I was chasing.

Cheers,

Wood

wackyrider
03-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Welcome mate. Good to hear here's someone else in the Brissy area

hooligan
04-08-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm about the same height as you, but 15 or 20 kgs lighter.
When i was looking for my commuter bike, i found the sv650 too small, with the pegs way too high. Just make sure you at least sit on it before you buy it.
I really liked the 2 motards I had as commuters, but needed something that didn't need a rebuild every 18months, so bought a Kawasaki Versys 650. I bought my non lams version with 8000ks on the clock with a years rego for $7000.

BANDITROD
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
welcome aboard mate

Cruisecontrol
04-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Buy whatever engine you like.
Everything else can be changed to suit.
Bars and rearsets are easily available and changeable within a day.