PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Issue ?????

Jed
31-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Riding the Gixxer home from work last night and lost power - stopped.

Turned out the battery went flat. Brand new battery 6 weeks ago. Charged it up last night. Reads 12.8v this morning. Run the bike at idle and it drops sown to 12.0v.

What's the problem? Alternator? or something else.

God i hate electrical shit

Tim
31-07-2013, 08:38 AM
what charge are you getting at the battery at 5000rpm?

Then check your regulator/rectifier & the stators output

Jed
31-07-2013, 08:50 AM
what charge are you getting at the battery at 5000rpm?

Then check your regulator/rectifier & the stators output

Thanks Tim.
Was a bit early in the morning to hold it at 5000rpm. Gave a few little revs but didn't go up at all.
This is going to be a stupid question as my electrical skills are shit, but how do I check the reg/rectifier and stators.

Cheers, Jed

Tim
31-07-2013, 10:44 AM
There are decent service manuals at(explains shit better then i ever will)
http://everythinggsxr.com/service-manuals/gsxr1000-service-manuals/
Right click and save link as instead of just clicking the manual you want

if you cant figure it out ill add the bits you need here

blackvisor
31-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Is it a modern gel battery or a lithium ion one? Cos both of those types of battery only respond to special modern hi-tech battery chargers. So if you're using a 1970's battery charger that your dad used on his Torana battery before you were born the battery is fkd and U/S

A mate of mine bought a lithium ion one and fkd it in the first few weeks of owning it by charging it with a charger designed for a gel battery.

If your battery is fine then yep, charging system is next suspect, it only has 2 components, alternator and reg rec, follow the manual to test both of them.

Jed
01-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Battery is all good. Did some testing and ended up being the Reg / Rec. Apparently common on these gixxers, or so i'm told.
If anyone on here ever needs a new one - shop around. I contacted the local Suzuki shop here. $550 and a 10 day wait. Rang brissy Suzuki - $450, and a 10 day wait.
Got onto Gosford Motorcycles - $230, and it'll be here today. Our local businesses up here always have a bleat about not supporting them. How do they justify thoses prices?

Tim
01-08-2013, 08:26 AM
should of talked to jules.. pretty sure he has a spare that should fit..

Jed
01-08-2013, 08:40 AM
should of talked to jules.. pretty sure he has a spare that should fit..

Thanks mate. Doesn't matter. i have a new one on the way nad hopefully won't have to worry about it again for a while.

wackyrider
02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Yeah I have a new one for a K4 just sitting there