PDA

View Full Version : Extended Cables

Cruisecontrol
30-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I am after some extended throttle and clutch cables for the GSXR.
Does anybody know of someone that does this type of thing?

K6Thou
30-07-2013, 09:36 PM
http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/general-auto-cables/liverpool

(http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/general-auto-cables/liverpool)Haven't used these guys myself but from what I hear they are good.

Yella
30-07-2013, 09:41 PM
I have used them for work always been good products

Cruisecontrol
30-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Can I just call them and say I want 3in over K4 GSXR1000 clutch and throttle cables and they will know what the hell I am talking about?

Yella
30-07-2013, 09:49 PM
I normally send over a sample of what I need. The guy seemed switched on but not sure how many bike cables he has done

Hillsy
30-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Have you got a local wreckers you can pop into? Take your cables in and have a look for a match. Lots of cables are interchangeable between the big 4 so you might fit gsx14 / bandit throttle cables and maybe a z1000 clutch cable on (??)

blackvisor
31-07-2013, 08:29 PM
I make my own cables, I have a 200mm handlebar riser so I had to make all my own. Its not difficult, just time consuming. Building a cable from scratch can take me 2-3 hours cos I make 1 or 2 a year, but cloning an existing one or "clone it but make it 150mm longer" takes about an hour, if you have all the nipples and cable to hand. If you make a lot of cables you can get a fair bit quicker.

I get components from venhill.co.uk, they arrive within a week of ordering. There's loads of "how to" vids on youtube and on the venhill website.

You can get teflon lined cable (smooth operation) and rotating nipples for brake and clutch cables (the cable is under less stress so it lasts longer). Venhill also make some really tasty brake hoses too.

If you're getting someone else to make them you definietly have to take your old cables for them to clone. Talk it through with the guy cos certain types of adjuster with wierd thread are hard to find so he may have to butcher your old cables to re-use the adjuster. Or maybe you can tell him not to bother about the uniquely wierd bits.

Or if its going to be two several hour round trips to drop off and collect the cables make your own. Just build in an adjuster cos home made cables stretch a lot in their first 20kms of use.

Hillsy
31-07-2013, 09:08 PM
If you're keen to make your own throttle cables, grab a couple of bicycle brake cables and use them. I did a set for my XT500 years ago - cost about $8 all up.

They're more than strong enough for throttle usage....not recommended for clutch cables though.