PDA

View Full Version : Projector headlights: Are they any good? Has anybody used them?

blackvisor
16-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Am considering fitting projector headlights as part of the " 'fighterisation" of my bike.

They're not cheap, do they justify the cost?

I was thinking of using 2 of the combined dip&main beam lights with the HID upgrade.

Has anybody used them? What do you think of them?

BANDITROD
16-07-2013, 01:13 PM
how much riding do you do at night

latheboy
16-07-2013, 01:21 PM
I got lights off a fully sick as bro Madass Sach.

They are really good lights, ebay.... cheap..

blackvisor
18-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I do enough night riding to know I really dislike being slowed down by poor headlights which don't illuminate far enough ahead.

Plus my bike is the finest shade of matt black, (I'm improving it further by going for a futuristic ratfighter look) so at night it is going to be hard to see. I don't want to have to make it brighter than a '90s warehouse rave by covering the bike in bright coloured LEDs to make it seen.

Currently it has 2 headlights from vehicle wiring products in the UK, they have car headlight bulbs, H4 55/60watt, they chuck out plenty light, but they don't fit with the look I'm going for.

Before I shell out a considerable sum of beer tokens on projectors I'd appreciate hearing whether they are considered suitably bright or a modern equivalent of the old "prince of darkness" bike lights.

BANDITROD
18-07-2013, 01:48 PM
they put out as much light as what you already have mate just don't go for cheap ebay ones they are shit

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
18-07-2013, 02:16 PM
I may just be able to help you out here buddy. I had some HID lights on my beastie but switched them out 'cause of the delay in switching between Hi and Low beam, (Hi beam didn't warm through quick enough for my liking). They are currently sitting in my spares shelf gathering dust, ballasts and all. If you drag your sorry ass to the dyno night you can take them away, see if you like them, then we can talk about how much you're willing to pay for them or, give them back. Easy try before you buy option.

wackyrider
18-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Nice one Bryn. Now there's an offer you don't often get

blackvisor
18-07-2013, 09:25 PM
That is a great offer, and the "delay between switching from high to low" is the kind of information I am after. Do you have a separate light for dip and for main, or are they combine dip & main in one body?

I work in the CBD and knock off around 6pm. Realistically I won't get to Lilydale much before 7. Will the dyno antics still be going then?

I've posted photos of my bike in the "introduce yourself" thread, its not very streetfighterish at all, but heading towards ratfighter.

kind of.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
18-07-2013, 09:59 PM
It's one of each mate. 50mm projectors in a mask thing I knocked up in the shed. Delay wasn't huge but..........

Not sure how long the dyno thing will go on, depends if Ivan has a satisfying wank before he heads into work.

Unit looks like this.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i369/got_buckleys/b7731b5c.jpg

Redmohawk
18-07-2013, 10:27 PM
You can get mechanicly switched Hi/lo setups , It's one HID bulb with a metal blade activated by a electromagnet. On Low beam the blade blocks the light shining up on high the blade drops out of the light beam offering much greater light and a different pattern. No delay and HID output in a projector type lense setup. They are usally about 100mm in depth though.

latheboy
19-07-2013, 10:11 AM
I reckon we'll still be going at 7, i don't think anyone will be here till about 5:30 or 6

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
19-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Well there ya go then. Ivan blew his worries away in the shower this morning so drag yourself up and meet people, shoot the shit and tell Ivan how awesome he is.

latheboy
19-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Didn't have a shower, still smell like jizz;)

Who said i did it at home anyway?

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
19-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Didn't have a shower, still smell like jizz;)

Who said i did it at home anyway?
Message to self. "never read Ivans quotes while eating, especially carbonara".

blackvisor
19-07-2013, 01:39 PM
You can get mechanicly switched Hi/lo setups , It's one HID bulb with a metal blade activated by a electromagnet. On Low beam the blade blocks the light shining up on high the blade drops out of the light beam offering much greater light and a different pattern. No delay and HID output in a projector type lense setup. They are usally about 100mm in depth though.

That's the version I saw on the web, its what I was thinking of getting for mine. Has anybody used them before?

El_Hefty
19-07-2013, 01:44 PM
get some second hand bmw headlights from the wreckers with projectors in them cut them up and youve got brilliant lights, i know a few guys on the TLzone have done this, no issues with legality either

Redmohawk
19-07-2013, 02:14 PM
That's the version I saw on the web, its what I was thinking of getting for mine. Has anybody used them before?

I've got 2 sets , they throw out ok light nothing great but for cheap projectors they are ok. Don't get sucked into buying the real cheap versions on evil bay (usally dont come with balasts) Elhefty is on the money BMW units are great if you can find em cheap , they have a gimbal unit built in so they move with the bike whilst riding (legal n shit)

Cheap units with hid bulbs are illegal because the hid light is a pain in the ass with bumps and reflectors setup for convetional globes. When you hit a bump with the cheap shit it flashes on coming traffic bad enough to cause temp night blindness, Cops have been made aware of this (in station) and warned to look out for it because of all the cheap kits to fit bombadoors.