PDA

View Full Version : zx9r e1 engine sound ok?

whitelineweaver
29-06-2013, 10:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpNFski77PQ

When I bought it, the bike had a k&n filter, chopped can with the carbs stock.

I adjusted the valve clearances. With my feeler gauge skills and the shim supplier sending me the wrong shims I'm 80% sure they're within spec. I can hear tapping now at least.

Cleaned the carbs, shimmed the needles up 0.5 and turned the mixture screws out 2 turns from seated. Main jets are still stock. Float height 5mm. Needs a bit of throttle to start and obviously a lot of choke when cold. Smells pretty fuelly.

I made a manometer and attempted a sync. Haven't properly checked to see if air is getting in anywhere it shouldn't.

The po reckons all 9's sound this way at idle but I don't know. He said the bup bup bup as I turn the throttle is because of the extra air.

Looking at getting a new can because, dare I say it, it's too fuckin loud! Sounds awesome but I'm a considerate guy :) The Supertrapp tunable exhausts look alright.

A decent jet kit might be need. Others say shims and bigger jets worked for them.

I'm not looking for max horsepower yet, just a healthy running bike.

Any thoughts?

Redmohawk
29-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Once going and warm , add some choke if it smooths out its lean simple quick check for idle. If its really rich plug will foul , but I'd bet lean.

Checking for leaks with some crc would be a first once started, then check with choke. Elimination step by step, there is a tuning carbs thread about here somewhere (no idea you'd have to search) basic make sure no leaks, get it to idle (balance will prob help) then main jets and work back down needles, idle jets mixture screw etc, Lots of fun carbs on carbs off carbs on etc.

whitelineweaver
29-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Ok thanks man. I'll check for air leaks tomorrow - should've done that from the start. Then tinker.

Dynomutt
09-07-2013, 08:37 PM
ZX9R C model onwards do have very large valve clearances, they tend to sound a little clicky until warmed through. It sounds ok, but I would ditch the can and fit a longer one, I'm not a fan of stubbys they don't help the fueling particularly. Make sure you have done the airbox mod for removal of the ramair. Have a look on the ZX9R forum there's lots of info regards what others have done for jetting. An E model should be upwards of 135bhp.

whitelineweaver
09-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks Dynomutt, I've posted same question over at zx forums

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-9r-forum/88994-engine-sound-check.html#post2166810

I reckon the new can will do the trick.