PDA

View Full Version : rough cost for exhaust link pipe?

Tim
19-06-2013, 08:50 PM
just wondering what someone could expect to pay to have link pipes like the ones below made up?

Redmohawk
19-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Prob heaps more than they're worth , a zorst shop worth more than a pinch of shit should be able to make then in under an hour, if your happy with pressed bends. With a mandrel bend and a few bits of the right size toooob someone with a tig could make you a right sexy one in a few hours. Add you cost at anywhere from $25 an hour at a cheap zorst shop to $85 an hour for someone who doesnt like to tig for money but still does.

So maybe $50-60 each at the zost shop (steel and press bends) anywhere from a slab to $150 each at an engineers shop (stainless and pritty).

hyofighter
19-06-2013, 09:05 PM
i got one made up for the dirt dragger for 20 bucks locally , cut off of pipe they found was perfect length , though it was just plain old exaust pipe not stainless or anything , flat black it ,easy

TonyOW31
19-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Prob heaps more than they're worth , a zorst shop worth more than a pinch of shit should be able to make then in under an hour, if your happy with pressed bends. With a mandrel bend and a few bits of the right size toooob someone with a tig could make you a right sexy one in a few hours. Add you cost at anywhere from $25 an hour at a cheap zorst shop to $85 an hour for someone who doesnt like to tig for money but still does.

So maybe $50-60 each at the zost shop (steel and press bends) anywhere from a slab to $150 each at an engineers shop (stainless and pritty).

Jeez, didn't know it was possible for any business to charge $25/hr without losing money?

Redmohawk
19-06-2013, 09:38 PM
I do it on occasion, but working from home keeps the overheads down . Has ment repeat business in tough times, Its a suck it and see special . Seems to work well and keep junkies with pitbikes happy, just dont let em know where you live (or make em aware of the two dogs that want to eat people and the possablitly your a red neck with big fucking guns n angry disposition)

TonyOW31
19-06-2013, 09:54 PM
I do it on occasion, but working from home keeps the overheads down . Has ment repeat business in tough times, Its a suck it and see special . Seems to work well and keep junkies with pitbikes happy, just dont let em know where you live (or make em aware of the two dogs that want to eat people and the possablitly your a red neck with big fucking guns n angry disposition)

Maybe you do, and maybe you are the sort of guy he should be looking for.
Even a cheap exhaust shop has overheads, if you are paying someone just $18/hr, with oncosts their wage alone adds up to more than $25/hr, not even taking in to account other costs such as rent/rates/electricity etc.
So expecting to walk in to an exhaust shop and get work done for $25/hr is a bit unreasonable imo. Different matter if they are making a killing on selling you an exhaust system, but in this case that aint happening.
Just a different perspective from a business owner, and ex employer.

Tim
20-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Yoshimura want US $210 each plus postage!

A friend is considering swapping a set of yoshi trc's he has laying around onto a 848 evo is why I ask.

Redmohawk
20-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Maybe you do, and maybe you are the sort of guy he should be looking for.
Even a cheap exhaust shop has overheads, if you are paying someone just $18/hr, with oncosts their wage alone adds up to more than $25/hr, not even taking in to account other costs such as rent/rates/electricity etc.
So expecting to walk in to an exhaust shop and get work done for $25/hr is a bit unreasonable imo. Different matter if they are making a killing on selling you an exhaust system, but in this case that aint happening.
Just a different perspective from a business owner, and ex employer.

I know the 2 of the local zosrt shops charge me $25 an hour , so its not expected its just "is". I'm far from regualar enough to justify a big discount, But they know I'm local.

TonyOW31
20-06-2013, 01:03 PM
I know the 2 of the local zosrt shops charge me $25 an hour , so its not expected its just "is". I'm far from regualar enough to justify a big discount, But they know I'm local.

Fair enough, but I really don't know how they keep the doors open charging that.

Redmohawk
20-06-2013, 03:52 PM
To be honast neather do I , but It keeps people coming back. It's prob a select few but I don't feel like I'm a special case when I go in there. The down to earth honasty of the boys Is more what I like than the prices, Most of the time I can just DIY (have my own hand expander etc but if they're happy to chage like that I'm happy to keep coming back and get it done hydro. Mind you a $25 job prob takes em 20 min and 30 min of dribbling shit about franky flatouts next run on the salt flats.