PDA

View Full Version : FUEL INJECTION ...HELP NEEDED

pommie02
22-01-2008, 09:17 AM
OK...
IM FED UP WITH CARBIES NOW..
I HAVE NEVER CONVERTED BEFORE, SO I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS ?
I DONT WANT TO FIT A PUMP IN THE TANK, SO I NEED A PUMP AND SURGE TANK .. DO I NEED TO RETURN TO UNUSED FUEL TO THE TANK ?.
DO I NEED A OXYGEN SENSOR FITTED OR JUST FOR TUNING ?

THANKS GARY

Deano
22-01-2008, 04:47 PM
booster and exben are your experts on this but i am feeling my way through a conversion at hte moment.

i have an external pump and reg. no serge tank just tapping into the 'reserve' section of the tank. the fuel will run from the pump to the fuel rail, out the rail to the reg, from the reg back to the tank.

i would say you would need an oxy sensor for best results.

why would you not fit one?

Iceman
22-01-2008, 04:50 PM
What he said ^^^^^

I have an oxygen sensor in mine.

Booster
22-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Efi pumps need to flow thru for cooling so unless you have pump and reg intank you will need a return to tank.
O2 is mostly a tuning tool but sometimes its nice to moniter whats happening, esp on boosted applications.

TurboKat
22-01-2008, 05:32 PM
You only need an O2 (a.k.a. Lambda) sensor if you're running a closed loop system or A/F meter.
For most aftermarket computers, you set up a base map, then tune it on a rolling road (dyno) which has an exhaust gas analyser to measure A/F ratio.

pommie02
22-01-2008, 10:03 PM
thanks guys...
as i thought, my problem is my bike is a fzr ...so i only have a main fuel tap at the bottom of the tank...the reserve tap is external...and i cant find anywhere to return the fuel too apart from drilling a hole in the tank

Deano
22-01-2008, 10:22 PM
i just drilled a hole in my tank and welded in a bung tonight. not that hard a job

Booster
23-01-2008, 08:43 AM
welding tanks is a little hazardous but i have done it many times filling the tank with water after a good soapy flush, and on the last one put a vacuum cleaner into the inlet and had it running while i oxy/acetlyne welded , changing the whole top of the tank and wouldn't hold water.
if you have a way to hold a nut inside the tank you can use a bulkhead fitting .

pommie02
23-01-2008, 10:19 AM
can the fitting be at the bottom of the tank or does it have to be above the fuel level. with the fuel pressure being returned does it cause a pressurizing effect ?

Benz
23-01-2008, 01:51 PM
The fitting can be at the bottom, but this makes for an awkward, fuel spilling situation when you want to take the tank off. Gpz F/I fuel tanks have a one way valve mounted to their return,[it's a simple ball and spring arrangement] so when you remove the tank , fuel is not pissing all over your motor.
Unfortunately. this valve collects crap, and sometimes sticks, dead heading the fuel pump.

Booster
23-01-2008, 07:49 PM
You can get some nice quick connect fittings from Colder products
http://www.colder.com/
or a 1/8 or 1/4 threaded ball valve makes it easy to turn the fuel off for tank or fuel line removal.
I always put mine back into the bottom of the tank, not a prob for efi, may cause difficultys for blow thru carb where pressures are low to start with and any pressure differential can upset the tune

pommie02
23-01-2008, 10:43 PM
thanks for the info guys.
now all i have to do is find the parts to do it