PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium for subbie.

yuma bizl
04-06-2013, 01:04 PM
hey gang,
My rsv4 tail just arrived from kev and its gonna take a lot of work to get it to fit the zx9. Any advise about making a new subframe and the kind of aluminium to use?? I've ahd a bit of a look for a complete subbie but they're pretty pricey...

Aido
04-06-2013, 04:42 PM
What model 9? B, C or E?
6061...?
Could have a go with this http://www.carbonfiber.com.au/prod85.htm

yuma bizl
04-06-2013, 04:49 PM
its a C2, which kind sucks cause all the other models have a bot on subbie and mine is welded on. carbon tube would be nuts but how would ya join it?

Aido
04-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Mine is conveniently located 2 feet to my right...hmm lets have a look.
The original subframe is 24mm square section probably 3mm wall thickness. So that leaves you 18mm internal of the original subframe. Take to the subframe with a hacksaw approx 90mm or less from the factory weld to the frame, before the slight bend in the lower section of subframe. Insert CF tube and construct from there using west system epoxy and binding also avail from above link. You would need to do something along the lines of a triangle trellis type structure....but its a thought. Would probably be similar in cost to getting something fabbed and welded in ally.

yuma bizl
04-06-2013, 05:20 PM
hmmmm, def something to think about.

latheboy
04-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Heaps cooler than using ally... Do it and be the gunnipig for the rest of us :) ..

6061 need heat treatment after welding in structural environments

5083 is a good option, although I don't know if you can get it in extrusions

yuma bizl
04-06-2013, 09:00 PM
maybe use something like this bonded into the tube to bolt to the frame.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Go-Kart-Tie-Rod-Ends-4-x-8mm-Chrome-T-Rods-with-Jam-Nut-/140881167295?pt=AU_Go_Kart_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cd2c03bf&_uhb=1

TonyOW31
04-06-2013, 09:24 PM
7020 is the go retains its strength after welding without heat treatment, you will have to import it though, I havn't found a supplier in Aus yet.

Redmohawk
04-06-2013, 10:23 PM
7020 is the go retains its strength after welding without heat treatment, you will have to import it though, I havn't found a supplier in Aus yet.

I know where there is a shit load , but you'll have to go through several checkpoints and the people are not overly friendly.

TonyOW31
04-06-2013, 10:35 PM
I know where there is a shit load , but you'll have to go through several checkpoints and the people are not overly friendly.

Nothing a carton wont fix:D

yuma bizl
06-06-2013, 09:19 PM
anyone on here any good with bonding carbon

Redmohawk
06-06-2013, 10:08 PM
I know a thing or 3 , epoxy resin and ruff up the joints on exsisting tubes if thats what your starting with. Let me know if you need small pieces of cloth I have an off cut laying about.

yuma bizl
07-06-2013, 08:47 AM
i was thinking if i do go the way of a carbon subbie, using go cart tie ends to fix it to the frame and not sure about the pointy end...

Redmohawk
07-06-2013, 09:37 AM
If you get yourself some carbon Toe (thread) you can spray wax a corse threaded rod with 2 lite coats then 2 lite coats of PVA (mould release not the glue) wrap the threaded rod with toe pre soaked in resin. Then a few layers of cabon sleeve (sleeve is a cabon cloth in sock form for making tubes) you need the sleeve to give the threaded section strength in multipul directions.

Or you could get a set of Ali inserts turned up with a thread for your Tie ends , get the Ali inserts made with a ruff texture on the outside to help resin Key to the Insert (something for it to grip to). I have a carbon monocote sub/rear in the works that I'll post in the Gimp built thread but its a month away at least atm It uses Pre made carbon tube for initial structure. Paid work comes first I'm afraid.

yuma bizl
07-06-2013, 03:08 PM
i think the ali inserts would be the easiest way to go about it for mounting the tie rods at frame end and maybe the same at the other end. with some carbon tube for x bracing.

i think this wil be too hard for my skill level but. so i might make one out of steel first and see how i go. then a model out of wooden dowel and then the carbon. but as it'll be hidden but the rsv4 tail it'd be sad to hide the carbon.