PDA

View Full Version : Basic ignition wiring

xjrjack01
21-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I know it's not a bike but would anybody know how to wire up an ignition circuit, I've been building a mud buggy & I need to do the wiring from scratch, I've got the starter motor sorted but I'm not sure about the coil/ballast resistor and distributor. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

EXBEN
21-01-2008, 09:02 PM
What engine ?

xjrjack01
22-01-2008, 10:09 AM
It's a 4cyl car engine, I think it goes like this but I'm not sure (power from ignition switch to one side of the ballast resistor then from the other side of the resistor to the +terminal of the coil then from the -terminal to the distributor), theres also a small condenser with the coil I think this goes from the -terminal on the coil to earth. Have I got this right or am I missing something?

loosebruce
22-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Points are your trigger for the coil, so , +ve side of coil to distributor and -ve to earth.
Ballast should be in series with the coil.
Condensor on the coil is just a supressor to cut radio interference, not needed.
To static set points, have crank pulley on the timing mark (F not T),set points clearance with a Tally Ho paper.
If the distributor has been out you need to check No 1 is firing just before TDC after the inlet valves close(It's easy to get 180 deg out as the distributor runs at 1/2 crank speed).