PDA

View Full Version : Any1 got expereince with SSB Lithium Batteries

EVLZX
30-05-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm in desperate need of a new battery and I've been eyeing off one of these SSB Lithium Batteries http://www.ssbpowersport.com.au/Products/ProductList/tabid/241/mode/details/pid/430/Default.aspx

(http://www.ssbpowersport.com.au/Products/ProductList/tabid/241/mode/details/pid/430/Default.aspx)Does anyone have any experience with them especially in a cold start situation?

Cheers :)

fimpBIKES
30-05-2013, 08:26 PM
great in the kat so far, got mine from allpurposebatteries though

EVLZX
30-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Have you done any sub zero starts?
I just see some people saying that lithiums are no good in the cold and then I see other people saying they're fine if you leave it for a minute after you turn the key.

kev@vcm
31-05-2013, 08:54 AM
I've got a few of them now mate , top item can't fault them , ran 1 flat popped the leads on if and it's all good ,

Redmohawk
31-05-2013, 09:13 AM
This should give you a visual indication of temp to cappacity issues with LI batterys using the same chemistry (important to compare apples with apples) as the SSB batterys.

The thing to pay attention to is the orange and green and dark blue and lite blue lines. Between 30 and 10 deg c average voltages at load are around 3.3 to 3 Volts no issue there in a pack of 4 giving you a 12 to 13.2 volt pack @ cranking currents. But when you get down to 0 deg c (lite blue line) voltages drop considerably to 2.7 volts dropping your pack voltage another 1.2 volts to 10.8 @ 0 deg increasing the pack cappacity can help some but not heaps as you can also see from the discharge graph as discharge current/pack capacity balance changes in favor of current cell temp increases internally and voltage comes up.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m591/redmohawk1/fapo_Saft01_aug2010_zpsf7443795.jpg (http://s1133.photobucket.com/user/redmohawk1/media/fapo_Saft01_aug2010_zpsf7443795.jpg.html)

Just keep your battery above 10 deg and alls fine, if your going to be riding in the snow and parking in areas where your bike is going to go below freezing regularly LI chemistry batterys are NOT the best choice.

If you really have a hardon for LI batterys , trying to start your bike in low temps is achivable . Just crank the bike for a few seconds then let it sit for 10 sec. The discharge will increase internal temps considerably then hit the starter again continue till it fires. (this wont do your battery much harm, but it wont do your starter any good or electrics on an efi bike)

EVLZX
01-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Thanks everyone.

Yeah Kev I gathered they were hard to completely kill, might be good for the ZRX.

Thanks Red based on everything you've said I'll give it a miss for the time being the zx14 is a real hungry prick.
Might grab one for the zrx in the future since it doesn't need as much power that way I can test it on the 14 too.

Think I'll give this a go for the time being http://www.ssbpowersport.com.au/Products/ProductList/tabid/241/mode/details/pid/414/Default.aspx

Tony Nitrous
01-06-2013, 06:22 AM
There was a lot of interest in them from the guys I ride with.
Not sure of all the details but I know several have gone back
to traditional lead acid after various dramas.

I will only run Standard Yuasa's on mine.
Removed one this week that's had very little love
and lots of neglect and went strong for 5 and a half years.

I'm sure they will be the normal thing in the future
but I'm not convinced they are there yet.

Redmohawk
01-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Yeah I go with sealed lead acid (AGM) they're about half way between a conventional lead acid and Li stuff when you look at them as a whole. You get mounting options and less weight with good cranking amps for there size with little issue with temps. And tend to run for years if looked after a little. They still like a trickle charge But i dont bother, just ride it once a wekk and they last ages.

ozzy1100
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Yeah I go with sealed lead acid (AGM) they're about half way between a conventional lead acid and Li stuff when you look at them as a whole. You get mounting options and less weight with good cranking amps for there size with little issue with temps. And tend to run for years if looked after a little. They still like a trickle charge But i dont bother, just ride it once a wekk and they last ages.

what he said

EVLZX
01-06-2013, 01:36 PM
There's always good advice on here, really need a voting system :)

ozzy1100
01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Btw forgot to say agm batts can be had at under 1/2 that of wet cell
The one in the shit box is 12 amp hr and cost $25 as a 2nd
even full price is still only around $50 :-)))))

fimpBIKES
01-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Just crank the bike for a few seconds then let it sit for 10 sec. The discharge will increase internal temps considerably then hit the starter again continue till it fires. (this wont do your battery much harm, but it wont do your starter any good or electrics on an efi bike)

that explains a few morning moments of late, cheers