PDA

View Full Version : Advice please.

kiwi kdx
21-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Hey guys i rode 45km on a flat rear last week (it needed replacing so i thought fuck it)

Took off the scary 160/60/17 battleaxe

Put on a 160/60/17 michy pilot road 3

Chain tension is correct and wheel is aligned properly, tyre pressure is good.

Now i know tyre sizes can verry and the battleaxe was rubbing
The chain but the michy is getting eaten!

I know eventually the chain will wear enough away and clear and im not overly
worried about it, more pissed off a its a new tyre!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg173/d21terrano/20130521_090505_zps545fd4cb.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg173/d21terrano/20130521_090513_zpsba229fde.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg173/d21terrano/20130521_090525_zpsc91ad87d.jpg

What would u guys do?

stiffsimon
21-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Show it to the service department and see what they say.Maybe you'll get a new tyre FOC from them.Why didn't they notice it when they fitted it or did you just take the loose wheel to them?

Redmohawk
21-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Mono would be the bloke to talk to about tyre width/actual width But from what I've seen "Tyre width" is dependant on "At designated rim width " run a wider/narrower rim than the manufacture specs for that tyre and the width is going out the window.

Even if you spaced the rim offset the chain will still slap the tyre and drop chain lube on the tyre sidewall, Riding on the edge becomes sketchy (from experiance) I like at least 5mm gap now.

I'd chat with service department and get another 150 wide or 160 in something thiner . Off load the 160 to someone that can use it, damage doesnt look like it will cause any issue on another bike.

If your really keen on the tyre run a non O ring chain to drop width and that will prob give you enough clearance (just) to keep the tyre.

kiwi kdx
21-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Talked to them already " same size that came off"
Was the responce..... I took the bike in so they really should have
Noticed it before it left.
I thought of a non o ring chain, but with the km's i do
They wont last.

Might just forget about it, its got a tube inside........

Jinx
21-05-2013, 10:24 AM
What's the problem with the Battleaxe as I'm on my third set and hold on like shit on a blanket. I find that you need higher tyre pressure than KTM recommend so I run the same as a 600cc sports bike. The Michelin is probably just a bit wider or they fucked up the spacers. Fairly common for tyres to rub on chains and swingarms on Motards. http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/supermoto/45259-lc4-640-tyres-how-large-rear.html http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=179676

Hillsy
21-05-2013, 11:52 AM
So a bike service department fitted that and let it be ridden out of the shop?

Woeful.

TonyOW31
21-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Just get a stanley knife and slice the edge of the tyre off so it doesn't rub anymore, the chain will eventually do it anyway.

hooligan
21-05-2013, 12:35 PM
The 640's came with 160/60's on the rear from the factory.
After the whatever it was that was on it when i bought it, I used a continental SM tyre, and when they one was worn out, a pilot pure. Neither of them rubbed on the chain, but the pilot pure was a bit narrower, it rubbed less on the standard can (before i changed it to the R6 can, then it didn't rub). Ended up with pilot pures front and rear, thought they were great motard tyres.
Different to jinx, i used to run the rear tyre at 24 or 26 psi cold, and worked great in all weather.

BANDITROD
21-05-2013, 12:40 PM
that shouldnt have left the shop that is fucking shocking

ALBI
21-05-2013, 01:45 PM
go right back mate is it aligned correctly !!!

Iceman
21-05-2013, 02:42 PM
My RF had the same issue, it melts the edge of the tire off and looks shit, but in all fairness i wasn't using that bit anyway....

MONO
21-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Kiwi KDX,

I have a couple of questions before Dr MONO can give a clean answer.

What make, model and year is the bike ?

What is the rim width noted on the wheel ?

As a precautionary measure, I have seen people make the unfortunate mistake of misplacing the centre spacer from the sprocket carrier to the wheel. This will, when the axle is tightened, bring the sprocket carrier closer to the hub which I have seen result in the same tyre damage.

Maybe something to check as it can easily fall out through the process of the strip and refit of a tyre. So check that the spacer is actually there.

Also check with a tape measure (a basic way) swing arm pivit to axle measurement on both sides are the same. I have seen a lot of the factory chain tension markings being incorrect due to mass production.

As far as tyre with goes, both are relatively similar in size. I have both in stock and can measure them if need be. But as a rule, rim donates tyre size.

I await your answers.....

Dr MONO

kiwi kdx
21-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Hey mate,

Its an 04 KTM 640 Sm

It has factory BEHR rims 5.00 x 17 on the real

Axle to piviot is the same on both sides.

Ill whip the wheel off tomorow and check the spacer.

Thanks for the help so far mate.