PDA

View Full Version : powdercoat or paint ?

safighter
07-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Hey guys my new build is about to begin I want some advice ,rims to powdercoat or paint I have been told that powdercoating rims can add up to 1kg per rim ? I know powdercoat is more robust but 2kg of added rotational weight ,fact or fiction .

stiffsimon
07-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Hmm I'd be interested in this as my wheels are getting powdercoated as I type

mozza
07-04-2013, 09:03 AM
I asked the same question about getting my frame done and everyone told me to get it painted.

Redmohawk
07-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Powder coating material isn't that much heavyer than dry paint , its the extra thickness (around 0.5mm or more) that increases weight. A wheel painted thickly/or several coats would weigh as much as powdercoating.

Think of powder coating dust as paint without a liquid solvent, but when applyed it generally goes on thicker.

NINJAINOZ
07-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Anodising would be a much better (Lighter) option, I have always been curious about the weight balance too when powdercoating wheels especially if it adds 1kg & this weight could be coated unevenly? Im talking a very little difference but it could be possible and vary with different powdercoating persons experience?

Would be much the same with painting wheels if they are painted with lots of coats in the same position? Again very minimal & probably hardly noticeable

Let us know after you get your wheels coated if they are fairly out of balance?

Deano
07-04-2013, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't stress to much about the out if balance thing as the wheels are just cast to start with so you can't polish a turd on that one.

I would doubt 1kg per wheel yes it's heavier but more durable. I chose paint on the wheels as I wanted a particular finish that only paint could give me the frame and the rest was powdercoat. Came up a treat just keep petrol away from it

pav69
07-04-2013, 03:28 PM
strip & paint back to new

kiwi kdx
07-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Powdercoat for sure!!!!! I've hade frames,wheels, triples, swingarms all powder coated and swear by it!
Who ever told u it adds 1kg per wheel is a FUCKTARD!!!!!

I think people take weight saving too far anyway......... Is it a race bike? And can u ride like Rossi or Lorenzo?

safighter
08-04-2013, 08:29 AM
I think the custom powdercoaters arent "fucktards " but actually know their stuff,frame weight is differant to rotational weight ,and yes I can ride like Lorenzo,but on a Honda.

Jinx
08-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Powdercoat for sure!!!!! I've hade frames,wheels, triples, swingarms all powder coated and swear by it!
Who ever told u it adds 1kg per wheel is a FUCKTARD!!!!!

I think people take weight saving too far anyway......... Is it a race bike? And can u ride like Rossi or Lorenzo?

Have to agree with the Kiwi. had loads of stuff powder coated and no way can you spray that much onto a wheel or frame.
As for weight saving, cant see the point in spending mega dollars for just a few kg so go on a fuckin diet if its that important. Some of us need to lose a bit anyway.

ALBI
08-04-2013, 09:21 AM
there is no extra weight!!
but!!!

as it is thicker and no clear coat ,when it chips you cant touch it up and if you do just looks like dogs balls !!
were as if you paint it and clear it stone chips the clear only and if you do chip the paint rub back and touch up!!
dont paint it 2 k solid as it will chip and when you touch it up it dont look as good as COB "clear over base"

safighter
08-04-2013, 09:23 AM
yeah guys thanks for all the advice ? ,not sure what you mean by spending mega dollars Jinx ,I have polished wheels at the mo but they are a bit pitted and take to much looking after,and maybe just chill out a bit man ,just asking advice no need to get personal on the weight .

Redmohawk
08-04-2013, 09:36 AM
I hate painting anything , always have. But I'd paint over powdercoat just for ease of change later.

Jinx
08-04-2013, 04:13 PM
yeah guys thanks for all the advice ? ,not sure what you mean by spending mega dollars Jinx ,I have polished wheels at the mo but they are a bit pitted and take to much looking after,and maybe just chill out a bit man ,just asking advice no need to get personal on the weight .

All good mate. Havin a bit of a laugh at some of the alleged weight saving I've seen over the years. I need to lose around 30kg so its a dig at me more than anyone.