PDA

View Full Version : Joycie

Joycie
01-04-2013, 02:03 PM
G'day all,
Joycie from around Wollongong way. Been lurking around here for a while but never adventurous enough to join & not much to contribute. Not a member of other forums either and I have little experience with even the basic technicalities of a place like this. As such here will be dumb questions and many rookie mistakes, sorry.

Bit of background; grew up with bikes in central west NSW, always had dirt bikes(still do). Last road bike was a Buell XB9. But I'm sure you've all heard the story before, I married the girlfriend, got her pregnant, had a kid, figured after a month 2.5 people don't fit in a 2 bed unit, told we needed big house & Buell was the first of many unwilling sacrifices.

Fast forward 3 years still have the wife, still have the kid, have a house with some room and last month picked up a 7/11 Slingy form a member on here (Seifer?).

This is the part where I try to attach some pics

Must say I'm pretty chuffed, but she is still a bit rough (no offense Seifer, i believe i got more than i payed for)
Was puking oil out covers but now sealed up with new gaskets, replaced leaking fuel hoses, replaced battery and secured carbon tail and undertail.

Don't mind the styling, may changed it in time but the plan so far is to get it up and running reliably.

Seems I'm out of work for a while so have some time to to at least start sorting it out. When I have money I have no time, when I have time I have no money, if some one could please explain to me how to be in possession of both it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

stiffsimon
01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard. Much advice freely available here and much piss taking too. Nice bike

Joycie
01-04-2013, 02:28 PM
let the dumb questions begin. Tried to read the "Things to know when you join the forum" thread as I wanted to attach decent pic's and maybe a movie but the links said "404 page not found". where should i be looking?

Bob
01-04-2013, 02:35 PM
welcome mate, I remeber that bike well, Nice buy you got there.

BANDITROD
01-04-2013, 04:38 PM
welcome mate

geesexar
01-04-2013, 05:00 PM
welcome to the madness, you scored well with that buy mate...shoulda bought it myself

bluedrags
01-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Welcome to forum and if you find the answer to your question let me know.

El_Hefty
01-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Gday welcome ... and yep a good score with a freshen up that'll be a nice ride.

rod185651
01-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Welcome mate,there are a few of us down here in Wollongong now.

wackyrider
01-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Welcome to the madness mate. Easiest way is just ask when you want to know something.

We moved to a new style forum and some things may have not moved over properly which might be the reason for the error

Gix11
02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
let the dumb questions begin. Tried to read the "Things to know when you join the forum" thread as I wanted to attach decent pic's and maybe a movie but the links said "404 page not found". where should i be looking?

Shit, nobody warned me about this until now! Cheers mate, all fixed.

Oh, and welcome aboard, you got a bargain there!

hutch
03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
welcome mate

Fight_fan
03-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Welcome buddy! Not too far away from u either, Im dwn in Ulladulla.

Joycie
03-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the reception boys and thanks Gix for fixing up those pages.

Well buttoned up the covers, new filter & oil & took her out for her maiden voyage. Started after a bit of choke & a few hits on the starter & started to to settle into a nice idle. Getting giddy with excitement as i throw on my lid (Don't ya love the first ride on a new bike).

Live next to a reserve of sorts with paved road, so being cautious take it up there (not much traffic & walking distance from home if worse comes to worse). first impressions are fuck that pipes loud, neighbours are gonna love me. 10mins in somethings not right, clutch in & idle rockets ways up, pull over and check the idle adjuster, yep it's backed all the way off so looks like it's back to the lab.

Pull into home & have a bit of a gander, cases are pretty hot & now there's a steady drip of fuel from both left & middle left carb's, can't tell exactly where from. Whilst it's running spray a bit of brake clean around trying to pin point air leaks. Rev's pick up even more, but with tank & everything still on can't pin point a thing other than there's a leak on the left side somewhere.

took this pic this arv after everything has cooled & now have a slow drip from left bowl drains. I figure leaks open up when every things warmed up.
Have ordered what I hope is the correct rebuild kit from Motorcycle Spares Wharehouse & looking at a small 2nd hand ultrasonic cleaner on egay.

I suppose i should start up a new thread. Had a quick look but haven't seen a 36mm Mikuni rebuild thread. I'm no expert with carb's but hopefully you guy's can steer me in the right direction. At worst I'll be able to keep track how I've pulled it apart. Wish me luck.

Jesus, just walked out of the garage, first job is to clean the bench off.

Joycie
03-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Wtf??????

hyofighter
03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
spammers , welcome man , have a look in the builds thread my dirt dragger has similar if not the same carbs it had sat around a long time when i got them apart the seals for the bowls werent pretty and there is a link hose between the carbs for fuel and mine was leaking from there , didnt help that the needle and seats stuck as well , but a good clean up and there mintish (need balancing) now , not a carby expert but there isnt much to them

xa-mont
03-04-2013, 05:55 PM
mmmm fruit...

i mean.... WELCOME!

Nudie
04-04-2013, 09:36 AM
welcome joycie, im not far from the gong either (well, right in the middle of it actually)
Hope you get it running right soon

Joycie
13-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Well what ever spare time I thought I had is long gone, started new job last Wednesday. I swear this would have to be one of the longest "quick and easy" carb rebuilds.

I have received one carb back from being cleaned, two are at the shop being cleaned, I've not yet stripped the last one for cleaning, i've some how only ordered one rebuild kit and am yet to order the other three, have sourced half the replacement stainless screws/bolts and have received some of the required external carb parts from the local dealer.

Have I gone about this logically? As in strip down everything and inspect before then getting everything cleaned at once so I only have to do two trips to the shop to drop off and pick up, then knowing the full extent of the damage/wear on components ordering all parts required to complete the job...................no.

Any way tonight I had one extremely clean carb on the bench, one rebuild kit, a tiny bag of shiny staino bolts and a bag of parts picked up from the dealer at the start of the week. So why not whack one together eh? Screw the float bowl to the carb body with my shiny new bolts to see if lengths are OK. All sweet and looking shiny new. Grab bag of new parts and rip out new diaphragm cover, and whack it on, WTF????
out with the verniers (new one left old right)
Confirm what carb I've actually got
Checked the part numbers again, bit of trawling carb spec's between year models and bingo. I've learnt the expensive way that I've an 89-90 1127cc not a 91-92 with 40mm carbs.

Won't get to the dealer to beg for a refund and order replacements till next Saturday morn, then another week for them to come in.

This isn't going to plan.

streeter1428
14-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Ahoy Joycie, welcome aboard, nice Machine!!

Joycie
18-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Shit yeah, after 2 months of pissing around rebuilding carbs and sorting various fueling issues (at the rate of 1hr a week) and ordering the wrong parts I finally got the beast running. Although it's still a little rough, idle mixture need more work and needs to be synched properly it was good enough to blast down to the reserve next door, piss off surfers enjoying their serenity at The Farm, do a lap of the suburb and stir up the neighbourhood dogs.
Turns out it's biggest drama was the inlet boot rubber O-rings leaking. The best bit, after feeling pretty low after being told by the local Suzi dealer that OEM O-rings are no longer available the place I tried (Cram Hydrualics) found a suitable replacement in a stash and gave them to me for nothing.........that's right zip. The biggest problem took about an hour to fix and cost nothing.
Anyone recommend somewhere down the Illawarra to get her synched properly before I start getting carried away?