View Full Version : front lights

FIGHTERMC
20-07-2006, 06:09 AM
i have a problem with my front lights{r1} not working
and need to know if i'm on the right track
i have back light working.i have checked the switch
gear and there is power going in and coming out of
it so i'm thinking that it must be the relay or
the earth wire.fuses are ok and bulb is ok.
any ideas what else if any it could be.
mc

BOHEMION
20-07-2006, 09:29 AM
might sound dodgy but you tried giving the bult abit of a tap, Chances are the connection on the prongs of the bulb could be abit loose.. Tried a new bulb?

20-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Relay, earth, or short (jeez that's really pinpointing it.........NOT)

SHORT:
Do you have a continuity tester? check continuity from the Earth point (disconnect from chassis) back to the relay, will tell you if a wire has been damaged (my continuity tester has a range of sounds depending on the strength, so wiggling wires quickly tells if there is a dodgy one.
RELAY & SHORT:
If that show's up OK then check continuity from the bulb power input (See note below) to the opposite side of the relay, you will have to turn lights on for this (removing bulb is good idea too) this will show if there is a short in that part of the line, or that the relay is faulty (light switch on during this).
EARTH: If the above tests show up ok, try attaching a jumper wire to the earth side of the bulb, and connect directly to a known good ground, if headlight now works then there is a earthing issue. And the check can be used as a temporary bypass of the problem (make sure that jumper wire is up to the task).

You do realise that the power running through the light switch doesn't actually go to the light bulb? It goes to switch in the relay, which allows another power line to run to the bulb, check that both power feeds into the relay are working.

Hillsy
20-07-2006, 10:23 AM
I know this might sound simple - but my ZX9 headlights don't work unless the motor is running - some sort of relay to ensure ignition and starter get full power (you didn't say whether you have the bike running). Otherwise go with Chalks diagnosis.

20-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Damn I'm glad I ride an older bike, no lights on shite, and no bloody relays to keep lights on and still get bike to start.

My biggest problem was pissing off the side stand switch (a 2 minute job).

EXBEN
20-07-2006, 11:39 PM
quote:Hillsy Posted - 20 Jul 2006 : 10:23:29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know this might sound simple - but my ZX9 headlights don't work unless the motor is running - some sort of relay to ensure ignition and starter get full power (you didn't say whether you have the bike running). Otherwise go with Chalks diagnosis.
Assuming you have checked everything else you should check this relay, I've come across a faulty one of these before ( Not on an R1 though ). You'll probably need a wiring diagram to find it (& to know which wires to test )cause it can be inside the fuse box or somewhere like that.

FIGHTERMC
21-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks lads,i'll try what chalk10 is saying.
light don't work when bike is running and no power to the
to the bulb have checked all the simple things.
my mate has a r1 so i'll check the relay on his and
if its not that i'll make up an earth.
rgds
Mc