PDA

View Full Version : E rated headlights

triplefighter
21-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Looking at buying a headlight fairing from streetfightersinc.com. The light is E11 rated is that legal? It's kinda alien looking which is cool and has low beam and fog light. I believe it just had to be E rated.

Redmohawk
21-03-2013, 10:05 AM
From several discussions with people in the know both here on ASF and vicroads in Victoria no E mark is nessasary but the light must meet ADR requirements, Ie if a copper pulls you over and hassles you about your light he can defect you for it (no proof nessasary for defect , just a suspision in they're part) you then have to prove its a ok and meets adrs for your bike.

This would basicly entail going to a roadworthy centre having light tested for brightness and aim angle at low beam. So if you get a light from overseas (ebay whatever) make sure its setup for RHdrive roads , low beam aims off to the left. Most crap from china doesnt aim to the left or right, and will or wont pass on the discression of the person doing the roadworthy (but if they're following the job to the letter of the law it wont pass).

Being E rated means it will prob pass assuming its for RHdrive, prob a good idea to ask before you drop a bundel on a new headlight though if your worried.

oldskool
21-03-2013, 11:40 AM
To pass ADR it needs the Emark mate.

Redmohawk
21-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Not from what curret vicroads info states, in person asked about 2 months back. Rules see to be changing without being diseminated to the masses atm. For instance since july last year all temp permits are from sun up to sun down , not the old 7 am to 7 pm etc . Even paperwork was still the same when you got one from vicroads , but look up the website with current rules and its changed.

Just fought case , copper booked me , for driving at 6:45am last year wouldnt listen to me (highway patrol , he knew best) I got off nooo prob when I fought it.

Talked to one bike roadworthy centre , he said e mark or forget it . Next one down the road sez as long as its vicroads compliant (current ADR) doesnt need e mark. I'm going there , as a bike I want to roadworthy real soon have LED headlights no E mark but are compliant to beam spread/brightness rules or so I'm lead belive. Guess I'll find out 100% in about a month (assuming I find a job to pay for all this shit)

oldskool
21-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Ok,
RWC is very different from ADR, when a bike go's for ADR inspection it needs the Emark and all is corresponding numbers and supporting documents or it needs to be tested and have those supporting documents and numbers created.
For RWC this is not needed unless the RWC tester thinks he or she is a bit above themselves, all that needs to be proven here is that they are the right distance apart and at the right hight and position on the bike including being visible at 200mtrs in plane daylight.

Redmohawk
22-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Yeah thats what vicroads told me bloke. As far as testing for ADR compliance was concerned,Quote " they were Happy as long as the roadworthy tester was happy" unoffically . Offically it would have to go to the relivant testing facility in your state, But they also said as long as its built for RHD roads and has high and low beam it will most likey pass (even though it may still be a shit light for anything but in the city riding).

It's nice to know an honast up front Vicroads employee, thats keen to diseminate information.