PDA

View Full Version : Small & Lightweight batteries. What brands?

wackyrider
05-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Well, after reading about the Motobatt thread ,I'm a bit skeptical about buying one at this stage. I need a small battery to fit in the MV tail as I also need to fit the wiring in there too. What other brands can you recommend for small lightweight batteries? I use the bike regularly enough and it isn't usually idle for more than a couple of weeks.

kev@vcm
05-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah I'm thinking Li ion batteries are the way to go , shoot Ben an email I know he would be the best to know where why why n how

xa-mont
05-03-2013, 09:32 AM
I have shorai batteries in my ape and my drz. They're small and light and hold charge awesome (unless my ape is sucking away at it) I have left my dr for 2 months without starting and out starts right off the bat no problem.

Only issue I have is the one in my rsv had broken off the tops of the terminals due to me swapping it around between my bike and other people's for testing without keeping it secured well. They still have a hole in the side though so still usable

oldskool
05-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Got some good solid state batteries from battery world at a good price Century branded and Australian made.

stiffsimon
05-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Not sure if you got this link that I sent you earlier Jules but these seem to be pretty good quality and they certainly seem to be of a much higher build quality than the Shorai batteries that I've looked at. A little pricier than Shorai batteries though.

http://www.hardracing.com/AntiGravityLightweightMotorcycleBatteries.htm

wackyrider
05-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Cheers Simon. The issue I'm gonna have is size, the smaller the better. I'm going to have to put the battery and ECM both in the place of the MV battery as I will have to then sort out wiring as well

Tony Nitrous
05-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Just a thought....

My bikes all have similar size motors.
putting the batteries on the bench,
the Gen1 Busa battery is by far the smallest of the bunch,
dispite having to run ECU/fuel pump etc.

If I was doing something that needed a small but good output battery
i'd be looking at a decent brand Gen1 Busa one if it was suitable.

ozzy1100
05-03-2013, 10:24 AM
have a look at agm back up battery's I have been useing a yusa 12 ah for 9 mths in the 750
cost me $25 but norm they about $50

wackyrider
05-03-2013, 10:39 AM
have a look at agm back up battery's I have been useing a yusa 12 ah for 9 mths in the 750

You lost me there Ozzy

hooligan
05-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Just a thought....

My bikes all have similar size motors.
putting the batteries on the bench,
the Gen1 Busa battery is by far the smallest of the bunch,
dispite having to run ECU/fuel pump etc.

If I was doing something that needed a small but good output battery
i'd be looking at a decent brand Gen1 Busa one if it was suitable.

I have a motobatt in my vfr 800 that fits in the standard battery box of the ninja 250 seat. It is small enough to fit the ninja 250 box, but has enough cca's to start an 800cc v4. if it was in a little ninja it would last forever!

wackyrider
05-03-2013, 11:14 AM
I might just risk it and buy a Motobatt and hope it last me a while

Redmohawk
05-03-2013, 11:23 AM

AGM = absorbed glass mat, basicly "sealed lead acid" jacar sell heaps in all kinds of sizes cheap higher current discharge than regular wet lead acid with low self discharge. I use a 12 volt 4.5 ah in betty started the 600 fine even after been idle for 6 months. Cost $25 very small.

oldskool
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM

Why would you do that, have a look at battery world.

hooligan
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
NO!! they are shit, i read it on the internet.

fimpBIKES
05-03-2013, 11:31 AM
i wouldnt after hearing all the reports lately.
there are many options out there for li-ion

how long do you have? i was looking at ordering in a ballistic 8-cell for the katana
but its a stupid bright red colour and i can get a SSB with heaps of CCA, smaller and lighter than normal from allpurposebatteries (who i have used in the past) for the same money
http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=16_36&products_id=341

ps- unrelated but i noticed at Masters last night that they stock a range of SSB batteries, they might be able to order in whatever
ordering one now actually cos i keep putting it off and AFR is soon lol

wackyrider
05-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Why would you do that, have a look at battery world.

Cheers for the chat. Might pop into Battery world and see what they have. There's one close to my place apparently

fimpBIKES
05-03-2013, 11:46 AM
goes from a 4.5kg lead acid to a 1kg li-ion
lightest kat everrrrrr LOL

stiffsimon
05-03-2013, 12:08 PM
how long do you have? i was looking at ordering in a ballistic 8-cell for the katana
but its a stupid bright red colour and i can get a SSB with heaps of CCA, smaller and lighter than normal from allpurposebatteries (who i have used in the past) for the same money

Funny that cause I got an AntiGravity 12 cell for my GSX and it's an awesome bright red colour

wackyrider
05-03-2013, 12:47 PM
I need one asap so i can sort out the placement of all the components in the tail

ozzy1100
05-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Have a good look at the agm then easy to get cheep and can be mounted
any way other than upside down IMO

fimpBIKES
05-03-2013, 01:12 PM
red ones do go heater lol.
from experience my battery should be here by Thursday

antigravity looked good too

Iceman
06-03-2013, 10:24 AM
I am interested to see how this all goes, as I still need a battery for my pop up kat. I can't put it in the stock location because now that it has the busa arm and shock in it there is no room. I would be looking to mount it lying down in the tail.

wackyrider
06-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Yeah, i'll need to have mine lying down with the ECM place over it (padding in between). I'll let you know how i go Clint

Iceman
28-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Thought I'd revive the age old battery question. I need a battery for my latest GS project. Small and light would be nice. What are people's thoughts

wackyrider
28-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Clint, I've been running an SSB in my bike for the last year and a half with no issue. Small and light

Iceman
01-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Cheers Jules, I'll see if I can get one.