PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass

RevHead
14-02-2013, 06:40 PM
ok im going to make my own tail for my busa ,and my own mask and tank mount ,for speedo just need to know what kind off polystyrene,i can use to make the shapes im after,all advice welcome.

Cruisecontrol
14-02-2013, 06:57 PM
I made a tail using regular polystyrene. I just taped up the form before I glassed it so it didn't melt.

Worked like a charm and cost me nothing.

Redmohawk
14-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Foam for a plug I assume ? If you use epoxy resin (the foam wont melt) as opposed to polyester resin it will disolve Polystyrene foam (epoxy is the good expensive stuff Polyester is the shit you usally see at bunnings or in water tanks n stuff)

If you already have polyester resin and dont want to buy epoxy , use the blue expanded foam you get in some packing (its harder than polystyrene foam , but still easy to shape with sanders, grinders with flap disks etc) You can often get it from building supply places.

RevHead
14-02-2013, 07:20 PM
cheers also what thickness am i shooting for for strength

Redmohawk
14-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Depends on how you make it , if the foam is staying there and your laying it up over sanding back and painting 3 or 4 mm is enough for looks , if your using it to support weight thicker is best. Its a street bike so weight isnt a big issue go thick and no cracks is easyer.

If your making a plug mould then making Hollow glass from the moulds Go thicker. Trick is to get as much matt in with as little resin as you can. Rolling bubbles out so 100% of glass is wetted out is the main key to strength. Using woven mat instead of chopped matt helps to. It depends on the curves your trying to get the glass around as to how heavy a mat you use, lighter weight mat for tight curves heavyer mat for large flat areas.

RevHead
14-02-2013, 07:59 PM
thanks Red:

Redmohawk
14-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Heaps on boobtube Pete

Gix11
15-02-2013, 09:32 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/showthread.php?1641-best-material-for-fibreglass-model

RevHead
15-02-2013, 06:40 PM
i got given a heap of the foam you were talking about Red ,the fibre glasser up the street was closing so i went and saw them ,i like free shit,so ive got a mate going to help me im going to make a few fighter masks!il post up the results in a few weeks ,cheers for the link Si.

Redmohawk
15-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Little air powered hand belt sander/linisher is great for roughing out shapes , or a flap disk on a 4 or 5 inch grinder.

RevHead
15-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Little air powered hand belt sander/linisher is great for roughing out shapes , or a flap disk on a 4 or 5 inch grinder.these tips a gold as this is a new en devour for me ,ive had a mate who said he will teach me after i make the plug,im looking forward to getting something made