PDA

View Full Version : Raask rearsets

chyaroh
13-02-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm contemplating putting a new set of rearsets on the VFR, but it's just about impossible to find something aftermarket that will fit it (1989 RC24). I've found one lot, made by Raask http://www.motorcycle-parts.com.au/RR_HonVFR750F90.jpg. Anyone had much to do with them? The pegs themselves don't do a lot for me, but choice is badly limited.

Hillsy
13-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Some rearsets have the same hole spacing (I put some Hong Kong Fireblade 929 rearsets on my 2000 zx9 - they were 1mm bigger), so I'd measure what you've got and look for some generic Hong Kong ones on eGay.

There's tons of them over here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=rearsets&_sop=2

stiffsimon
13-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Raask rearsets were THE rearsets to have back in the day. Style wise they're a bit dated now and probably more suited for a classic fighter than anything modern. Having said that I ran some Raasks on my GS/GSX and they were comfortable, solid, worked well and didn't flex. So they're OK rearsets just a bit dated in looks.

Tony Nitrous
13-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Very much what Stiffsimon said.

Very popular name in their day.

Dick
14-02-2013, 01:56 AM
I bought some for my Bandit late last year. I'd done a bit of research and got the same feedback you've gotten so far so I went ahead and bought them. They were rubbish. The mounting hardware looked like something you'd pick up at Bunnings, and the rearsets themselves were so poorly made they simply didn't fit up to the frame. The supplier gave me a refund when I took them back because you cold actually see where mounting holes had been drilled off centre. I ended up with some Gilles rearsets for about the same price and couldn't be happier.

TurboKat
14-02-2013, 08:07 AM
I had them on a Katana & they were shit, cheap cast plates that broke too easily.
The pegs are a joke, I hadta cut grooves into the leading edge because my feet kept slipping off around corners.

chyaroh
14-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks for that guys, looks like I'll give them a miss. I did find a set of "universal" rearsets at one point, but their mounting holes were 52mm apart and the VFR as 80mm spacings. I'll check out the ebay link above and see what I can find.

Hillsy
14-02-2013, 09:51 AM
You should send a message to one of the sellers that has a bunch of different rearsets and ask if they have 80mm spaced ones.

Or, you could buy any sized ones and fab up some adaptor plates.

chyaroh
14-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Found these on fleabay after a google search on 80mm rearsets: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Rogue-Universal-Adjustable-Rearset-Foot-Rests-Almost-Any-Bike-80-MM-New-/261093314772?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cca5fd0d4 so there seems to be a few out there.

chyaroh
17-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Unfortuntely the engineers at Honda in the 80's decided that asymmetric frames were the way to go, so the standard rearsets aren't the same size. So a generic pair of rearsets won't work.

Hillsy
17-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Make some adaptor plates up and buy whatever you want.

Hillsy
17-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Stupid Mac double post....

wackyrider
17-02-2013, 11:02 PM
What hillsy said. And if you need help making the adapter plates get the measurements and i'll draw it up and get them waterjet for you if needed.

chyaroh
21-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Cheers guys! Been hunting around a bit mrore and there seems to be a couple of rearsets out there that have an 80mm separation of the mounting holes, plus are adjustable to boot. It looks like the Vortex rs661k rearsets for the 07-08 R1 are 80mm, and so are a couple of the el-cheapo Thai ebay ones. I'm a bit dubious about their quality (or lack thereof) but might give them a try because if they don't work out then I haven't dumped huge cash down the drain.

The other issue I might have is the linkage attachment to the gear shaft, as it's a bit recessed. The current gear lever has about 5cm or so of metal out from the shaft before it bends back to the toe point, but a bit of fabrication might get me out of trouble.