PDA

View Full Version : Reflector/Mud guard stuff

latheboy
13-02-2013, 08:26 AM
I got a defect on sunday for not having a mud gaurd and reflector, i've had to put the OEM mud guard on and shown it to Vic Roads.
The lovely lady at Vic Roads had to ask me what was different and i pointed to the ugly parts.

The cop was quite good, didn't say anything about the turbo and didn't give me the $382 fine for the missing mud guard. He also said LED's are NOT legal for number plate lights, I know this is wrong but didn't say anything.
Also told me that the mud guard must go to the 45° mark of the wheel.

Now, I want to make the bike look nice but legal and not use the OEM guard.

Does anyone know if the reflector has to be mounted with the number plate?

Does the number plate have to be mounted to the Tail?

I was thinking of making a mount that comes off the swingarm and puts the NP at the 45° point.
Like the swinger mud guard in the pic

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmw6mEPgIT1fV_xDhy2TWI3meR4m0Sz 9y9uLK1N8F4qnZVQqGCgQ

wackyrider
13-02-2013, 08:29 AM
As far as I know you have to have a reflector on the guard, but I haven't looked into it myself. About to take the R1 for a RWC within the next day or 2, so I'll know more then.

latheboy
13-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Also .... Does the number plate have to be horizontal or could it be turned 90°?

Be good to hear what they say Wacky

EXBEN
13-02-2013, 09:36 AM
In NSW the plate needs to be mounted horizontally, I haven't heard of anyone being done for having it mounted on a wheel cover like the one you pictured. As long as their number plate recognition cameras can pick it up you shouldn't have any problems methinks.

EXBEN
13-02-2013, 09:51 AM
This is from the RMS website

latheboy
13-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks Ben.

Redmohawk
13-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Researched this very thing myself at the local RTA in shep , Ben's NSW visability info is same here in Vic. Bike must have "a" red reflector visable from same areas (doesnt have to be part of the Tail lights so separate refector is fine , no size limit but must be visable from at least 30 m on angle and 200m directly behind at night). I'm using two 18mm round reflectors, mounted on bolts (used to secure number plate) $5 from evil bay england !

Number plate must be mounted at least 300mm above ground level, didnt ask about if you could mount it 90 deg (sideways) Though in the past it was normal to left side mount them that way off the swing arm. I'd bet even if it was legal the cops would defect you for it anyhow.

EXBEN
13-02-2013, 03:53 PM
From what I've been told the plate recognition software can't read a plate mounted vertically, so it is deemed illegal & you will get done for it. I just had to modify a bike for a guy reciently for this exact reason.

Tony Nitrous
13-02-2013, 04:14 PM
A few of us got picked up for the short rear guard around here.
Cop was OK about it and we were "warned", but one lad who ignored it
did get fined. Cop's were prepared and had ADR spec's.

Something about 45-degrees from the spidle up and out.

A cop I ride with did mention that the test SHOULD be done with a set
weight upon the bike, but im not sure how true that is ?

I have one that has the rego label hung below the plate to get the
required length. Cop had a moan but didnt ticket me, not sure about that.

latheboy
13-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Cool guys thanks ..

I also had rego sticker under the number plate but alas ... Not good enough