View Full Version : plate mounting over wheel

Funkenfresh
10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
thinking bout putting my numberplate over the rear wheel?
as pictured..
info on legalities please anywhere in aust.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/69222169351743.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/69222169337795.jpg

Slain
10-01-2008, 06:05 PM
from memory qld is: completly identifiable (all letters and colors) 30m behind and at angles of 45 degrees
oh and it used to say plates arent allowed to be on an angle of more than 15 degrees from horizontal, so chopper/usa style axle hangers are illegal too :(

Jockney Rebel
10-01-2008, 06:13 PM
..dosent it have to be illuminated at night too .

Slain
10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
yeah that too, thought everyone knew that lol
oh and also your numberplate light cannot illuminate any part of the road behind you, if it does it is illegal and you can be fined

Funkenfresh
10-01-2008, 06:23 PM
i guess it depends on the copper thaat pulls you over too

Slain
10-01-2008, 06:27 PM
yeah very true, i had my plate bent up so it oculdnt be read and the copper didnt care.
but if you do ever come to se qld you have to be careful, they are cracking down badly round here. im just lucky that the cops in my area dont notice bike mods because they cant see past the brim of their cowboy hats

Funkenfresh
10-01-2008, 08:02 PM
i hope perth isnt gonna become like that.... its good now... basicaly if you dont act the dick they are pritty cool..
the number being mounted like the pics above.. would act like a mudgaurd too i guess... otherwise ill be doing the beemer bike thing (plastic gaurd) and mount the plate as normal..

Rocket
11-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I was considering the same thing Abel, although you need it a lot more than I do with that tail hack you're doing.
This will give you the 45 degree's from axle thing you need to be legal I reckon.

Funkenfresh
11-01-2008, 02:21 PM
if i were to bend the number plate that would alsoo bee illegal yah?

oldskool
11-01-2008, 10:55 PM
if you get dicked for the numberplate and not the missing rear guard loud exhaust etc etc etc then hey youll be fine.

chopaweeza
12-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Odds are that a cop following you would pull you over for it. Then start looking for "E" marks on lenses & shit like that to justify their time. Tall Handlebars have the same effect. Many cops see it like a red rag to a bull. It is illegal to bend the number plate , the plate has to be clearly illuminated at night and they can technically require that the mount be Engineered . Adding or subtracting any structure on a bike requires it to be Engineered.

So the mount as it appears in the photos is illegal unless it passed Engineers Certification.

Funkenfresh
12-01-2008, 11:38 AM
fuk i hate the law.

Bear
12-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Agreed, Funken. Even if we read the law and act within it, the police make their own judgement most of the time.

That's a good idea with the plate. I've got a similiar dilema - shortened rear end and have to extend something to meet the rear wheel cover law. I'm thinking of doing a dirt bike thing and extending the number plate bracket from under the rear tail, so that the plate meets the mudguard law. The I'll paint the bracket matte black so it's not so visible as part of the bike and ruin the short back appearance.

Funkenfresh
13-01-2008, 02:33 AM
the other thing that could be done is to copy the bemmer bikes.. and have a plastic cover over it.. ive got the front of a cr125 front mud gaurd that is the width of the rear tyre of my bike.. all i need is brackts... but the number plate would be sorta different... just need those LED bolts for illumination.. Bear you could also get of of those bracket/gaurd things on the new R6's