PDA

View Full Version : Digital SLR's

CookyMon
31-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Anyone here know much about cameras? I want to buy a SLR, under $500, to use for everything I.e. kids portraits, landscapes, take to the footy etc. And to top it off I know shit all about what's current. The best camera I've owned was a Canon EOS300 over a decade ago when you could still buy film. I saw a Canon EOS1100D at Big W today for $450 which looked like a good deal - came with a 15-55mm lens, and I have a Tamron 28-200mm zoom from my old film camera that I could use too.

Thoughts, anyone?

RevHead
31-01-2013, 07:10 PM
we bought my daughter a cannon DSLR a couple of years ago,it takes great piccis ,travels everywhere with here

Gix11
31-01-2013, 07:49 PM
The camera is only as good as the lenses you have mate. If you had some good lenses on your old Canon, they should fit any of the new gear. If you're only planning on doing simple photo prints or even just saving them to a hard disk then anything around 10MP (megapixels) will do you fine, anything over that is a bonus. I've printed full size A0 posters from my 10 MP camera. IF you haven't had an SLR for 10 years then everything will impress you in comparison these days, but as I said, the camera can only capture what you give it, so if you use a shitty lens, it will capture a shitty picture.

Gix11
31-01-2013, 07:56 PM
For a bit more you could get a 600D kit (including lens) if you don't have any lenses to use. I know a few magazines that used the 600D as their camera for a while.

Check these guys as they usually have good deals as well. But these are aimed at more professional end.

http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/digital-cameras/digital-slr-kits?dir=asc&order=price

Choice is yours really.

....but remember what I said about lenses!

Large
31-01-2013, 09:35 PM
The newer Canon 550D+ (and similar Nikon) cameras take really fucking good HD video.

They fill the memory cards up but.

MattyDucati
31-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Canon 550D+ (and similar Nikon)

Ya cant put then two brands on the same level! Canons suck!:p

CookyMon
01-02-2013, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like I'll be hunting down the best deal I can get on a Canon camera body since I have two compatible lenses already. I'll post a pic of my camera when I get it, although that will probably require taking a selfie...

sen
01-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Get a used but near-new body and put the money into a good lens.

The lens is way more important than the body, unless there's specific things you need out of the body that only the newest ones have.

Something like a used 550D or 600D and a 50mm f/1.8 + 40mm f/2.8 would be the same price as the body only of a 650D, and give you photos an order of magnitude better than a 650D with kit lens.

The kits with lenses are crap lenses. They're not worth the money, and will not do the camera any justice at all. Hunt around for some good used lenses on eBay or Gumtree or via friends/family. You'd be amazed how many people you know are into photography (or at least were at some point, bought stuff, and now don't use it). Photography is like bicycles, everyone wants to be into it, but they get lazy, and their gear just sits unused collecting dust.

Edit: Duh, didn't see your post just before mine that you had lenses. If they're good, just get a used/near-new body-only then. Plenty of people buy them, regret it, and sell it cheap on eBay/Gumtree.